Is WLS still necessary after thyroid removal?

arkloser
on 8/10/15 5:09 pm, edited 8/10/15 5:17 pm

A little over 1 year ago I was at my heaviest of 307 lbs at only 5'0" tall and am 38 years old.  In April, 2015 I had surgery to have my thyroid removed.  In the last 3 months I have lost 35 pounds bring me down to 272 lbs with a bmi of 53.1.

I am starting to lose the huge fat rolls around my belly and I have more energy than I've had in years. 

How much weight can one expect to  lose after thyroid surgery?

and is WLS still necessary?  

peachpie
on 8/10/15 5:28 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I had my thyroid removed March of 2014. Prior to removal I was severely hyperthyroid and lost weight down to 297#. (About 25#'s down).

Day of my thyroidectomy I was back up to 320#. Thyroid removal makes you hypothyroid, which traditionally causes folks to gain, though if you are dosed correctly on the replacement hormone gaining doesn't always happen. Wasn't the case for me... I gained up to 335. My levels have always been near impossible to control. I'm finally normal. 

I chose bypass because I already struggled with my weight and I was tired of the games my thyroid, or lack thereof, played on my weight too.

Necessary, no... A choice I made to make this battle with weight a 'fair' fight.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

M_Mommy
on 8/21/15 1:15 pm, edited 8/21/15 1:16 pm

I have an appt with a surgeon on Sept 1 for WLS.  I have heard that if you don't have a thyroid to not have the surgery bc it doesn't help.  I had my thyroid removed march of last year and have since gained 100 pounds and can't lose an ounce...it's my last resort.  So I'm curious as to how much weight you have lost and did you have any complications.  I am debating between the sleeve and the bypass.  Any info would be great.  Thank you! !

peachpie
on 8/22/15 2:43 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I've lost 61 pounds so far, pre and post op. No complications at all. I do think my rate of lost is slow, but have been losing. 

I haven't heard what you did about not having WLS because it didn't help. 

M_Mommy
on 8/22/15 8:22 am

Wow!  Congratulations on your loss!!  I am so ready to get my life back. Hopefully I can get the wls soon!!

peachpie
on 8/22/15 2:26 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Thanks. It took  while for me to accept my rate of loss, it's not what I imagined when the surgeons office said weight will be "melting" off initially... Bus it's definitely working!

Jadeyesmiling
on 8/10/15 9:05 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

I had my thyroid removed and gained almost 100 pounds!! It took a long time to regulate my medication and as I have started losing now they have lowered my medication a bit here and there.  It depends on what you have for weight loss goals.  If you feel like you are successful on your own, and your weight is going down each month consistently...why do surgery? But if you hit a plateau and then no matter what you do you aren't moving much and you need a tool to help you on your way, then you may consider weight loss surgery. 

But neither a thyroid removal or surgery is going to be a fix all, no matter what its all still about diet, and exercise and taking the best care of ourselves that we can. Best wishes in all you do and CONGRATS on the weight loss!!! :)  I am assuming you are also cancer free which is another blessing. :)  I am 7 years out from mine and still feeling blessed!! :)

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

Donna L.
on 8/11/15 4:45 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

What's giving you the energy is the thyroid replacement hormone, not the loss of the thyroid, necessarily.  Generally, people don't lose huge amounts of weight after thyroid surgery.  Any weight loss or gain is correlational, and dependent on your ha*****anges.  It could be a placebo effect partially, too.  

You can absolutely lose weight without WLS.  It depends what you want to do and how you wish to go about it.   For me WLS has made it 100x easier, but that is not the case for everyone.  Even just shy of 2 months out I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NYMom222
on 8/12/15 1:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Obviously everyone is different, it is hard to say.  I have been on Thyroid medicine for years (did not have it removed) in the long run it didn't help me lose significant weight. Maybe I would have been even heavier if I wasn't on it, I don't know.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/12/15 9:33 pm - OH

If you are losing weight quickly after having your thyroid removed, the amount of thyroid hormone you are taking is likely much too high (because, as already mentioned, taking the thyroid out eliminates your natural thyroid hormones which makes you hypothyroid and will result in weight gain if not provided via medication).  It can sometimes take a year or more to find the "sweet spot" for thyroid supplements since most doctors want you to be on a particular dose for at least a month before being re-tested.

While taking too high a dose might seem great from a weight loss standpoint, being hyperthyroid can cause a number of undesirable physical issues (these include increased heartrate (which can be dangerous if you have an undiagnosed heart condition), nervousness or tremors, anxiety/irritability, hairloss, and cognitive impairment), and your doctor should be adjusting your medication to avoid these issues.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active