I am afraid of having lots of loose skin after a huge weight loss.

arkloser
on 8/10/15 5:31 pm

I am 38 years old, 5'0" and weigh 272 lbs. I had thyroid removal surgery about 4 months ago and have lost nearly 35 pounds without really trying.  Except for my belly I don't look a whole lot smaller yet.  As my weight loss journey continues I am afraid of having lots of loose skin.  I've known of people who have lost 150+ pounds who ended up with lots of loose skin.

Is it possible to prevent from having loose skin afer a huge weight loss?

If not, what can be done about it?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/10/15 6:01 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Ok, I've lost over 150lbs & I have loose skin, but I'd rather have that than to have the weight back. Besides it's a freakin badge of honor at this point. Now I'm not running around wearing bikinis or something, & yeah sometimes I'm like eww, I'm so wrinkly, but compression garments are my friend right now.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to get rid of loose skin other than plastics. The skin is already damaged, it might bounce back a little after you're done losing, but it will still be there, but it's not as bad as you think & I started much higher than you, so you might not end up with a lot of loose skin.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

akanikkie
on 8/11/15 5:01 am
VSG on 04/27/15

I have lost 126 pounds from my highest weight and have loose skin and know I'll have more.  All that said, I totally agree with you 1lasttime - I would not go back to barely being able to move and hardly able to breathe.  

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Scarlette B.
on 8/11/15 8:24 am - TX
RNY on 03/20/14

Plastic surgery is the only thing you can do about it.  I wear lots of body shapers;)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

E_Saenz
on 8/11/15 4:02 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I have 11 years on you and I would rather have loose skin than 133 lbs back

Elia Maria Saenz

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 8/11/15 4:18 pm - CT

Plastic surgery is about your only hope if you do end up with loose skin.  Its just the way it is.

NYMom222
on 8/12/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Some people have worse loose skin than others. Genetics, how much you lose, how long you were overweight. I have been overweight all my life and Morbidly obese a good portion of my Adult life. Yep, I got lots of loose skin. I am hoping Plastic Surgery is in my future. Lotions and potions may make the skin look a little better, but they won't make it bounce back. I think your body will readjust a little after stabilization, so you won't have that 'too thin' look, but it is not a miracle. That being said, I don't regret it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

hollykim
on 8/12/15 2:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM Pacific Time, arkloser wrote:

I am 38 years old, 5'0" and weigh 272 lbs. I had thyroid removal surgery about 4 months ago and have lost nearly 35 pounds without really trying.  Except for my belly I don't look a whole lot smaller yet.  As my weight loss journey continues I am afraid of having lots of loose skin.  I've known of people who have lost 150+ pounds who ended up with lots of loose skin.

Is it possible to prevent from having loose skin afer a huge weight loss?

If not, what can be done about it?

I was more afraid of having huge amounts of skin filled with huge amounts of very ugly fat.

bulldog76ss
on 8/14/15 9:40 am - OH

I see all the responses here have been from women and I understand that issues may be a little different for men.  I am by no means a vain person and really don't care about what people think, however from my prospective, plastics was the only answer.  My stomach skin hung down below my knee caps.  It got in the way, felt like a bell banging back an forth, but most of all trying to get clothes to fit was impossible.  At my highest my waist was a 74.  Now with my skin remove and the weight loss I fit into 42s.  I still have loose skin under my arms and some on my back side but I am working on those areas through exercise.  Was skin removal a tuff go...you bet it was.  Looking at where I am now and what I can do, I would do it again.  I hope you make the decision that makes you feel great about yourself, because in the end that's what is most important.  Good luck!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/15/15 7:39 pm

I was afraid of dying of obesity-related disease or worse, having no quality of life from obesity.

I have flappy arms, a saggy stomach, and stretch marks all over. I also have cellulite on my thighs. I don't care. I'm alive, and a damn sight healthier than I was. 

I looked like **** at 300+ pounds, when my skin was taut with lots of fat. I didn't think I would look like a young Sophia Loren after surgery, and I don't. 

Start a plastics fund now if you think you will want them. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active