Anyone here had the DS??

pamsmpk
on 4/1/16 6:53 pm

I was all Gung ho for RNY.....really did a lot of research and knew this was the way I wanted to go.....then at my first visit with my surgeon,  he says he wants me to research the DS. He thinks it would be a good fit for me since my BMI is 54.  Looking for a buddy who's had the DS, thinking about having the Ds, etc..

hipswishingvinegarball
on 4/1/16 11:18 pm

Lots and lots of us, but not necessarily here. That surgeon did you a favor - many only do RNY (faster to learn, and perform, so makes them more money) so the DS may not be recommended or even mentioned even it it would be clearly better for the patient. Although, you may want to clarify it really is the DS, and not one of several new things they are doing and calling them DS (SIPS, SADI, Loop-DS). 

The real DS, sometimes called the bpd-ds, has the best stats for weight loss, maintenance of that loss, and resolution of co-morbs, but you have to commit to taking vitamins and following your labs. 

Also, you will be dodging a few other common issues if you don't get RNY, like dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia.

pamsmpk
on 4/2/16 7:18 am

Now I'm freaking out. He wants to do the loop DS..... What's the deal with that one??

Laura in Texas
on 4/3/16 7:13 am

Please do your research. The SADI gets mixed reviews. HERE is a comparison from the DSFacts website.

Search here for lots of threads on the subject. Also research your surgeon. If I were doing the DS, I would want the true DS, not the SADI.

Make the best decision for YOU. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

hipswishingvinegarball
on 4/5/16 12:54 am

I agree with Laura - real DS, but not one of the others. The sadi or loop aren't going to have the same results, but what concerns me more is that while the DS has been done and has statistics since 1988, those others are new with no long term data, and more importantly, aren't usually covered by insurance so I'd be leery of how they are being coded for insurance. 

I know others who thought they were getting the real DS, and I know those whos insurance paid for a real DS, and that's not what they got. I'd be very concerned about the insurance coming after ME to pay for the surgery once they realize that what they paid for and what was done weren't the same thing, but living with an experimental surgery is just one more reason to run. 

By the way, the surgery is much faster and easier for surgeons to do, so many are anxious to do that instead. Too bad easier for them doesn't translate to better for us. 

Most Active