Lower Back Pain

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/17 3:42 pm

For as long as I can remember I have always been morbidly obese. I have always been what most people call a "big girl" and for a while I accepted that. That's just who I am a big girl, right? Well, as the weight kept piling on I started noticing some abnormal pain in my body. My feet would always hurt even if I just stood for a short period of time or barely walked. My lower back would ache and ache. My knees would crunch going up and down the stairs. I stepped on the scale and to my horror I was really close to 500 pounds at the age of 21. I wasn't just a "big girl" anymore I was morbidly obese and dying. Now at almost 25 I am about 400 pounds and clearly have a lot of weight to lose. I have noticed that the foot pain no longer exists unless I am on my feet the majority of the day. my knees don't crunch as bad and the back pain has gotten a lot better with losing around 70 pounds :)

However, I still struggle with my weight and I have gained some back. Now more than ever I am having crazy lower back pain. It hit me that my back pain more than likely is caused by the weight of my belly hang pulling on my back. I never realized it before when I was much heavier but now I realize that is more than likely the cause. I use back cream from time to time and it works for a short time but then it wears off and the pain comes back. Aside from losing weight and this big belly, does anyone have any strengthening exercises or anything they can think of that might aid in the pain?

Gwen M.
on 7/31/17 6:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you able to see a doctor or a physical therapist?

Sadly, it's really hard to diagnose the cause of pain via the internet and it would be irresponsible for any of us to give you exercises without knowing what the weakness (or potential damage) is.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Are you considering weight loss surgery? (I assume you haven't had it, since you didn't mention it. Apologies if you have!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ltmlip
on 8/30/17 3:31 pm

Hi there,

I also get back pain when I am on my feet more than 5 minutes at a time. It goes right down my leg and then I get pain and weakness. I have been working all summer eating healthy and trying to exercise. What I have found works best for me is swimming. I don't do anything too exciting, just front crawl and some simple exercises. It doesn't hurt and it feels great. I am sore the next day mind you but it's a good sore. There is also some exercise videos on you tube that do exercise routines for obese people. Most are sitting in a chair. I hope this helps.

JR

Referral: March 2017, Orientation: June 2017, Nurse, Social Worker, Nutritionist, Pharmacist: Dec 2017, Physiotherapist and f/u with Nurse: Feb 2018, Meet Dr. Lindsay: Feb 2018, Pre-Op Feb 26, 2018, Start Optifast (4 weeks): Feb 27, 2018, SURGERY: MARCH 27/18 at St. Joseph's in Toronto with Dr. Lindsay. Height 5'2," 49 Years old, Hw: 365, Pre-Op Weight (start of Opti 355), SW 334 CW 175. Weight Loss: Pre-op -19, M1 -23, M2 -18, M3-18, M4-14, M5-14 M6-10, M7-14 M8-8, M9-14 M10-5, M11-10 M12-0, M13 -3, M14 -6, M15 -7

dorothy1110
on 9/1/17 4:25 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I did not use my pool that much this summer. Using the ladder hurt. Last summer I did exercise in the pool everyday.

Mirandia
on 10/8/17 2:09 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Well, since you said "aside from losing weight" I will only say that taking daily vitamins would be a good idea. Most people who are morbidly obese are also malnourished. Low levels of vitamins B6, C, D and E was reported in one study. I personally had a very bad vitamin D shortage and now I not only take the typical daily vitamins common with most WLS patients I take extra doses of D.

Low D will cause joint and muscle pain as well as fatigue.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Most Active