18 years post op rny and vomiting and losing weight again.

pkins7
on 6/10/19 6:02 pm

Hello. I am 18 years post of RNY. I had no complications and maintained a 110 pound weight loss up until about 1 year ago. At that time I began to experience nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. I have been hospitalized several times due to dehydration. Tests after tests and several procedures have been completed. Everything checks out okay. I am currently very near the underweight category and do not want to lose anymore weight. My doctor is now talking a possible exploratory surgery with possible revision. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this all the sudden. I just got out of the hospital again, only this time on top of the dehydration I also ended up with pancreatitis which was very painful. Thank you in advance for any and all help, suggestions, and comments.

Gorgeous84
on 7/8/19 5:23 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12

Have they investigated you for Petersens Internal Hernia? I just went through similar presentation and bloodwork/all tests were "normal" until the moment I was wheeled in for exploratory surgery that became beginning of life threatening ordeal. Not to scare you but feel free to inbox me for more.

Please continue to advocate for yourself! Doctors are human too and in my case "no one had ever seen before" and nor should I have lived.

There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

new2nurse
on 3/5/20 11:42 am - raleigh, NC

I am going through this right now, I have had an exploratory surgery to check for the hernia, that test was negative as is many other tests. I regained a lot of my weight back, so the fact that I've lost 60 pounds since June is not concerning weather I am losing it intentionally or not. MDs wont get serious about this til I get a lot thinner trying as a nurse to explain that eventually this will catch up with me the way it has with you I am largely on a liquid diet and we'll see.....

Tx38special
on 10/4/20 5:59 pm

May I suggest they check your liver enzymes. I had the same symptoms and my surgeon just happened to look at me and tell me that I looked ill and a little jaundice. Then he goes and looks at my labs that I did a week before his office visit and comes back in the room and says to me that my liver enzymes are way off the charts! He then contacts my gastrologists and has him order me an MRI and CT right away.

I go get those tests done and they see a large mass at the bottom of my liver. My gastrologist calls me at home after 4 p. m. and tells me to go check in at the emergency room now.

Next day, they take me into surgery and found 4 very large stones blocking my bile duct from my liver. I was released from the hospital 3 days later. But still have a hard time eating anything without pain. Most of the nauseas and vomiting have gone. But I still feel like something is wrong, because I still don't feel well.

I spoke with my gastrologist and he called in a prescription for pain and said if that doesn't help, he will do some more test on my liver.

I am one year out from a bypass that was converted from a fail sleeve procedure done in2017.

I hope this helps, God bless you and good luck in finding the right answers. In box me if you want.

Best regards, Lynn

P.S. Sorry for the large letters, it helps me see better.

new2nurse
on 10/5/20 8:58 am - raleigh, NC

We found out what was happening, I have hyperparathyroidism and metabolic bone disease secondary to my calcium and vitamin D malabsorption.

Dee_Caprini
on 4/2/20 3:18 pm

So sorry you are going through this. Hoping it's nothing too serious and you find a solution soon.

Peachs54
on 12/13/21 9:46 am

I had my gastric bypass in 2007 and everyday (no lie) every single day I throw up. I have been to numerous doctors , surgeons, hospitals yarda yada yada. They all say the same thing there's nothing we can do. Fast forward to date doctors say no one wants to fix another doctors mistake. So I continue with this problem , the last yr things have gotten progressively worse now liquid won't stay down and I've gone from 250 lbs to 180 without trying to lose weight . My initial weigh loss was 165 lbs perfect for my body structure. So this is my future. Though not for long . No one can not be able to not eat and live. It's ridiculous how the medical profession hasn't gotten. No concern for their patients just their pocketbooks.

Most Active