Avg time for Diabetes to go away

Tina B.
on 3/3/09 3:05 am - Cumming, GA
I had my surgery on 2/18/09 and I still have higher than normal blood sugars. They have been ranging from 160-114, mostly in the 120-130.
what time frame is expected.
I expected it to happen immediately. :(

ginabob1
on 3/3/09 4:02 am - Modesto, CA
I had my RNY surgery 9/2/08 and I still have Diabetes.  My sugars in the Mornig run 160-180.
There is around 20% that remain with diabetes.  I am in the process of researching that 20%.
I have lost 96 pounds and am at 198.  I was told by my PA as I lose more weight that It could still
go away.  I have a Doctors appt for the Diabetes next week and really plan to discuss this in detail.

Gina

Ruth M.
on 3/3/09 5:16 am
Tina, when I came out of the hospital I was taking my blood & it too seem high.  I made an appt to have my blood taken and have my AC1 checked because ultimately, that will tell where I am in terms of the Diabetes.  I stopped testing my blood at home because it was driving me nuts!  When my blood results came back, they reflected "normal" blood sugars.  Wht I would suggest to you is to have your AC1 taken/tessted to give you a true reading as to where your sugars are.  Hope this helps.

Hugs, Ruth

Be Blessed, Ruth

Ruth M.
on 3/3/09 5:19 am
Tina, it also depends on what surgery you had.  If you had the Lap/RNY, it should go away completely.  Check out this video when you get a chance to get more educated and understand the process.  Go to www.google.com then type cbs 60 minutes video gastric bypass

This video will explain why the Diabetes leaves once you have Lap/RNY.  With Lap/Band it does not go away.  The numbers may be good but you still have Diabetes with the Lap.

Be Blessed, Ruth

Greg M.
on 3/8/09 11:05 am - Cincinnati, OH
Ruth: I'm only 3 months out from Lap Band surgery and I'm having very good results.  Pre surgery, I was on Actos 30 mg., Byetta 5 X 2/day, and I still had to add Glyburide about 3 or 4 days per week.  Now I'm on the low dose of Januvia 50 mg. PRN which is only 2 or 3 times per week.  My A1C is 5.4.  It's not a cure, but those numbers are pretty good.  I would be careful not to discourage any diabetics by saying the band won't make it go away.  Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/09 1:55 am - Woodbridge, VA
No, she's right--the band can improve it and help you gain great control over your diabetes, but it won't cure it. Full remision/cure requires an intestinal adjustment, which is why the DS has the highest type 2 diabetes resolution rate, followed by the RNY.
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/09 11:13 am - Woodbridge, VA
Between 15-20% of type 2 diabetic patients DO NOT see remission of their diabetes after RNY. So there is a chance it will never go away.

For some, it requires some major weight loss to see a great improvement in the diabetes. The remissions is not always instantaneous, but it can still happen. There is no set timeline, so try to be patient.
Isla_Nina
on 3/19/09 6:43 am - MD
Why must we still play the "my surgery is better than your surgery" blah, blah, blah.  We are all surgically altered, get over it!

I'm not going to promote one procedure over another but since I see that the original poster is an RNYer, like me, I will say that that at my 3 month post op visit last week, my A1C was 5.1.  I've not taken any diabetes medicine since the day before my surgery after having been a diabetic for 10 years.

Nobody can argue with that!

I think we all have opportunities that our elders would have loved to have had, to be able to do "something" to help control our fate over diabetes.  To everyone, I say, do your homework and then do what is best for you!

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/09 2:45 am - Woodbridge, VA
Where did I say any surgery was better than anyone else's? I have NEVER said that with the exception of the context that the DS is better at kicking diabetes than the RNY. And the reason I mention this is that we are NOT all surgically altered - PRE-ops need as much information as possible!

I have mentioned in multiple posts that the RNY CAN send type 2 into remission. That's a fact. It does so approximately 80-84% of the time within the first few months of the RNY (sometimes immediately, while still in the hospital); recent studies show that at 2+ years out from RNY, just over 10% of patients' whose type 2 diabetes went into remission see it return.

With the DS, just about every study shows a greater than 92% chance of type 2 diabetes resolution post-op, and this number actually increases at 2+ years out from surgery.

These are facts, and pre-ops should have them. In the end, it is up to each individual to choose what they feel is the right path for them.
Isla_Nina
on 3/20/09 3:53 am - MD
Jill,

Did you read what you just wrote?  "I have NEVER said that with the exception of the context that the DS is better at kicking diabetes than the RNY."  That is tantamount to saying that DS is superior over RNY.  Sorry, but I do not agree and I'm not by myself in that opinion.

I agree with you one one point...Pre-ops should read as much factual information as they can get their hands on.  I went to the two hyperlinks that you list in your signature.  One seemed to be a lot of opinion, people sharing stories, etc.  That's nice, but that does not make it medical, scientific information.  The second site seemed to be an advertisement promoting DS surgery.

When I was researching my surgery, I went to sites that did not promote any particular surgery.  They laid out the pros, cons, facts, contrasting similarities/differences between the procedures and said here you go Ms. Consumer, take this information and make of it what you will.  That is what pre-ops need to do.  They need to decide which surgery, if any surgery, is right for them.  They don't need web-infomercials. 

I believe that anything that a person does to change their cir****tances to improve their health will ultimately improve their diabetic status.  There are no guarantees that any surgery will make the diabetes go away, including RNY and DS.  Diabetes is very individualized by person; how old you were when you got it, how long you've had it, how well you took care of yourself, how compliant you were with dr.'s instructions, family history, etc.  And then there's just plain old fate.  Some people are able to resolve their issues and some aren't.  No one knows why.

In my case, RNY sent my diabetes into remission and I have no reason to believe it will not stay that way, assuming I continue on the path I've started.  I interviewed 3 surgeons before having surgery and asked them:  If your numbers return to a normal range after surgery, are you still considered a diabetic?  Want to know how many different answers I got?  Three.  The medical community does not have a pat answer on this because there isn't one.

Jill, I'm glad you are pleased with your choice of DS.  I'm pleased with my choice of RNY.  We are both surgically altered.  We are both winning our wars with obesity and it sounds like diabetes as well.  Let's rejoice in that.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 166 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 494 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 836 views