Anyone with Celiac here?

Mary M.
on 11/15/11 10:54 am - MD
I am diabetic and have Celiac disease.  I was told by nutritionist I would not quailfy for LRNY.  I hope I can have LSG.  Does anyone have any information about this?  Thank you.
thomsonjack
on 11/15/11 7:43 pm, edited 11/15/11 8:29 pm
With celiac disease, you can't eat anything made with wheat, barley, rye, and should avoid oats. So, you have to give up versions of the foods you love but don't have to give them up completeley. I have been eating a celiac (Gluten-Free Flour) diet for almost six months now.

Thanks,
Mary M.
on 11/16/11 2:50 am - MD
Thank you for responding.  I have had Celiac for several years myself.  I just didn't know it would affect the type of surgery I could have.  I thought the LRNY would bypass the part of the intestines that gluten damages and that would be a good thing.  I was told I can probably do the sleeve or lap band but doctors do not want to touch the intestines because Celiac can cause later medical problems and there is the chance intestine would have to be removed.  I was wondering if anyone with Celiac has had bariatric surgery and what type?

Thank you!
thomsonjack
on 11/29/11 6:25 pm
Bariatric surgery’ is a surgery done for weight loss purpose. This term is from a Greek word ‘baros’ meaning ‘weight’. The procedure evolved out of ulcer/cancer operation which involved the removal of part of the stomach or small intestine. Spontaneous weight loss seen in these patients ,gave birth to the idea of similar surgery to treat morbid obesity. Thereafter after certain modifications, this surgical option in treatment of morbid obesity gradually established as a successful one!

Obesity is fast becoming a major cause of premature death in the developed world.Why Choose Laparo-Obeso Centre?

Bariatric surgery has proved to be one of the most effective treatments for achieving significant and sustained long-term weight loss in morbidly obese patients. It causes weight loss through substantial decline of hunger and increased satiety. Recently the understanding of neuroendocrine regulation of food intake and weight gain, especially regarding the role of gut hormones, has significantly increased. The changes in these hormones following bariatric surgery can partly explain the mechanism behind weight loss achieved through these procedures.

----------------------
Tapioca Pearls
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 849 views