Glucose Reading... Confused!

JordynsMommy
on 3/18/12 2:43 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
I was just told I am diabetic. I used expired test strips this morning around 11:30am. I had them during my pregnancy in 2010 when I had gestational diabetes. I wanted to tesf my sugar levels. I got a reading of 350, so I asked my husband would allow me to take his and he agreed and his reading was 88. So then I wasn't satisfied so I asked my stepson if he would do it and he agreed and his reading was 81. I'm not sure what to do or think. Please help me! It's Sundat and I don't want to be in the ER. I would like to wait until monday and talk to my PCP.

Tirza T.
on 3/18/12 11:49 am
VSG on 01/17/12
I would call your doctors office. Usually there is a nurse on call or a message center that will have the doctor on call, call you. If those are you true blood sugar levels that is very high. I would see what the Doctor suggessts you do. Good luck!
JordynsMommy
on 3/18/12 11:57 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
Thanks so much! I called my dr's office and spoke with a on-call nurse, she told me to call and make a appointment with my PCP immediately.But she said it's nothing to go to the ER about. I'm going  to get up in the morning and exercise and I'm going to watch carefully what I eat. I can't wait for my surgery, I hope the diabetes and sleep apnea go away!!!! Thanks again for your concern and for responding.  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/19/12 11:36 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I am diabetic also - diagnosed five months ago. In five months with diet and exercise I have managed to get my glucose down to normal non diabetic range. You can do it! Just reduce the carbs and exercise lots. Also a glass of red wine helps now and then to drive those numbers down as it keeps your liver busy with getting the alcohol processed and therefore it does not dump glucose into your blood. The surgery will be the final blow to getting your (our) diabetes into remission. It will never be cured. But it can and will be controlled and the goal is no complications. With good control this is fully possible. It is a disease that you can control - it does not have to control you. I was determined to get my numbers down to normal before surgery as I do want to take credit for that msyelf and not share the achievement with the surgery. Surgery will be yet another one of my tools for health. You are going to beat this!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

JordynsMommy
on 3/21/12 11:49 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
Thank you so much. The NP at my surgeon's office notified me that I must keep my numbers under 200 three weeks before surgery or I will have to postpone surgery so I really want and need to get these numbers under control. 

funkyphillygirl
on 3/20/12 12:42 am
I see that your surgeon is Dr. Williams. I had RNY with Dr. Murayama who is also part of the same practice.  there is a WONDERFUL endocrinologist down at the Perlman Center - Dr. Mark Schutta - he is fabulous.  I also could recommend another great one (my regular guy) with offices in NE Philly and Bala Cynwyd - Dr. Neil Streisfeld.  They are both fabulous.

Getting control of your diabetes is going to be a big pre-surgical issue for you, but not impossible by any means.  You will need to do it so you are in good condition for surgery and so that you heal well after surgery.  this is very important, so please keep us posted about it.

I had RNY in September and have been diabetic for 25 years.  I have a rare kind - called Type 1.5 - I have all the features and challenges of a type 1 (insulin dependent) with some of the insulin resistance of type 2.  I have reduced my medication dramatically as a result of the surgery.  I still need insulin, but that will always be true.

Good luck - get that blood sugar dealt with ASAP so that you can stay on schedule with your surgery.
JordynsMommy
on 3/21/12 12:03 pm - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
 Thanks so much. I just got out of the hospital. My sugars were very high in the 400s. I was discharged with pills and insulin. I won't be able to have surgery unless my blood sugars are under control. I am going to look into getting a appoinemtn with Dr. Schutta. I love the Perelman Center. Thanks for your encouragement. I will keep you posted. 

funkyphillygirl
on 3/21/12 1:42 pm
I am sorry to hear this, but just take everything in its time and don't get discouraged.  I had my surgery at Presby and also saw Dr. Flood (endo) in the hospital.  He was also very good.  So, if you can't get hooked up with Schutta quickly enough, try to get an appointment with Dr. Flood.  He is the same service and I liked him a lot too.

The team there will be very supportive of your plans to have surgery.  But, you do have to get that blood sugar under better control or you are setting yourself up for some big risks and problems.  It might take a little longer, but your blood sugar has to take priority now.  Once it comes into better control, your body will be better prepared for everything that comes with and after surgery. 

When you or your body is under stress, blood sugars tend to rise and it is very hard to get them to come under control.  So, please don't forget that and try to keep an eye on your stress levels too.  I know that's really hard with everything going on, but try to just keep yourself focused, on track and composed. 

Keep the faith - and stay hopeful.  You can do it!!  And, yes - please do keep me posted. 
funkyphillygirl
on 3/31/12 6:59 am
How's it going?  Are you blood sugars responding yet?  Just hoping the best for you!
JordynsMommy
on 3/31/12 8:43 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
Hello, I'm happy and proud to say I have gotten my sugars under 200. They are in the mid 100s. I see my PCP Tuesday and Dr. Schutta's office contacted me to make a appointment. So it is looking good for me. Thanks for checking on me!! xoxoxo

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views