Type 2 Post op ?

disneybound
on 4/8/12 11:59 am
VSG on 05/30/12
I have a question for those who have had VSG?  I tokd my PCP that after I have my surgery I would not be allowed to swallow anything greater than 7 mm.  I currently take 2000 mg of Metformin ER and Glyburide 5 mg in the am and 10 mg at dinner.  I asked what she wanted me to do?  She said that I should take be testing 3x a day after the surgery.  She said that I would probably be decreasing my meds.  My issue is I am nurse and usually when I had to add a med or self adjust I would give her a call and run what I changed by her with no problem.  I plan on following her suggestion on testing but when I actually start eating food again I am wondering if I should start taking the Metformin or Glyburide?  If I have to start on back on my pills, I am thinking about starting the Glyburide since they are smaller and easier to swallow. I will start at lower dose.  What were other peoples experiences also?

Thanks
Lynn
funkyphillygirl
on 4/8/12 12:05 pm
I had RNY, not VSG in September and am Type 1.5 diabetic - taking metformin, lantus and novolog.  I was not allowed ANY pills at all until several weeks after the surgery.  If I did have to take something it had to be either crushed and swallowed in water or a liquid or sublingual form.  I was restarted on metformin (not glyburide or other orals) several weeks out when I was permitted to take pills again. 

Good luck!
jc75035
on 4/9/12 6:59 am - TX
I had RNY at the end of December 2011 and took several oral and Insulin medications, including 1000mg Metformin twice a day. I am down to half a dose of Metformin and my numbers are in the low 100's consistently.

Going to see my endocrinologist this week and excited to see my A1C.

Since the Metformin tablet is so big you can cut it in half and take 1/2 in the morning and the other in the evening. That is what I did for the first month until I could take a full pill again.

Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 160 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 489 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 831 views