Did having the RNY surgery help with Diabetes?

wannabehealthytoo
on 6/19/12 7:52 am
 Hi!
I am new to the forums.  
I am hoping I can get help from those of you who have had the surgery to reverse the surgery.

I am a little confused as I don't have much weight to lose but I am diabetic and my BMI is high and my dr. has suggested having the surgery. 
I have a friend *****cently had the surgery but not diabetic and she tells me not to do it.  
I was also put on metphormine and it makes me very sick I can't take it.
Thanks for all of your help

funkyphillygirl
on 6/20/12 12:02 am
Congrats on your decision to seek more information. 

The answer to your question really is - it depends.  If you are a Type 2 diabetic and have been diagnosed for under about 10-15 years, the chances are very good that your blood sugars will normalize after the surgery.

If you are Type 2 and you've been diabetic for longer than 10-15 years, you will likely reduce your medicines, but may not see your diabetes go away.

If you are Type 1 or Type 1.5, you will likely see some reductions in your medicines but you will not stop using insulin now or ever, because your pancreas does not make enough to cover your needs.

So, a lot depends on what type you have, how long you've had it, and how well/ir your pancreas still makes insulin. 

As to your second point about your friend's experience, I can only tell you that having surgery is a very PERSONAL and INDIVIDUAL decision that each person needs to consider.  I believe that is why the pre-surgical process is fairly rigorous and requires a significant time commitment - to learn, to consider, to evaluate whether this is for you.  Some people think that surgery is the EASY way to control your weight - and I think anyone here who has had WLS will tell you that it is FAR from easy.  It requires time, willingness to change yourself and a lifelong commitment to addressing any behaviors and attitudes that get in your way.  Perhaps your friend wasn't fully prepared for that? 

I'd suggest you learn more about all of this by doing what you are doing - reading posts and message boards.  Have you been to an information session about WLS yet?  If not, that is also a very good place to start.  Learn as much as you can.  Listen to people who have had it.  Read about it.  Become an expert.  Then, you will know if you are ready and willing to do what is needed to be successful.

As for me, I thought about WLS for 9 years before have RNY in September 2011.  I am a Type 1.5 diabetic for almost 26 years and did it to address my long-term health.  I have been able to reduce some of my insulin, get off of some oral medications, and I do believe I am moving in the right direction to lengthen and strengthen my health.  This is not about numbers of a scale for me - it's about numbers on my glucometer.  Some days they are much improved; other days they are not.  But, I am 100% glad that I had the surgery, I have lost about 70 pounds so far, and realize that it's an every day thing.  I was, and am, prepared for the work that it takes to be successful at this.

Please post additional questions, thoughts, etc.  Remember that, in the end, this is a decision that is for and about YOU - and your health.  

Good luck!
wannabehealthytoo
on 6/20/12 2:22 am
 Hi Thank you for your reply.
I am a type 2 diabetic, I've been diagnosed with it for about 10 years now.  I had always been diet controlled until the beginning of the year when my A1C soared to 8.9 and I gained weight.  Then I was put on medication and like I mentioned in my original post the meds make me sick.  I have since lost about 18 lbs and my A1C has dropped to 6.5.  However I am terrified of having to go back on meds. as I have to pretty much stop my life because I am vomiting, dizzy and just in a bad mood all the time I was on meds.  I weigh 183. as of this morning..ugh!!  and I am 5' tall.

I have been reading a lot and more importantly I have spoke to a woman who had the procedure done she has been very helpful as well.  

I have made my mind and I think I am ready to make the changes.  I have been following a diet plan very similar to the pre-op one I was given at the WLS meetings.  

I have been to the Overwiew,orientation,physical, nutritional and some other class I forget what it's called.  I have my phyc. evaluation tomorrow Thursday and I see the surgeon in July.

I am glad to hear that is procedure is working for you.

From what I've read it's been positive for people with diabetes.  I know it's a very hard change but I rather change my eating habits than to lose time with my family because I am on medication and it makes me sick.  I am ready!!

Thanks again for your response,
G.
funkyphillygirl
on 6/20/12 2:38 am
Wonderful!  So you are already on the road to making the decision!  That's great!

This time last summer, I was doing all the things that you are doing now, so I can fully empathize with how quickly it's all coming at you.  For me, each step seemed more affirming than discouraging, so that is how I knew I was moving in the right direction for me.

One thing - do you have an endocrinologist?  If not, I'd like to recommend that you consider a consult.  Likely they will require that you have one anyway, given that you have had diabetes for 10 years.  Things do change and likely you'll need to have your sugars and hbA1c monitored.

Here's the cool/strange/awesome thing, blood sugars in someone like you may very well normalize right away - I mean right away after surgery.  I had spectacular blood sugars on the day of surgery and the day after, but as soon as I started drinking water - up they went.  But, I really am more of a Type 1 diabetic and knew that it would happen.  I was just surprised by the results I had on the day of surgery!

Here's what has happened for me in terms of my meds - off Byetta, Lantus dose is down by about half, Novolog (short acting insulin) has increased to better cover meal times, metformin down by half to 500 mg twice a day (I tolerate it fine, but I know many that don't), off actos and amaryl completely.  I also went off my cholesterol meds and, for about 6 months, off blood pressure drugs too.  My bp has crept up a bit, so back on it now - which is fine.

I'm down about 70-72 pounds and about 20 pounds from goal.  Weight loss is much slower now, but it's all good.  ALL of it - is good. 

Keep me posted please.  Any idea of when you might be scheduled for surgery, if you proceed?
wannabehealthytoo
on 6/20/12 6:34 am
 I see the surgeon July 16th so I am assuming that any time in August.    I am hoping that I too can get off the blood pressure meds.  
I do have an endocrinologist.  My reg. Dr. is very good I do get my blood work done every 3 months.  I just wish I could do it sooner because of my work schedule.  
I will keep you posted.

OMG!  You are doing very well.  70lbs. is a lot.  Congratulations!!!!
funkyphillygirl
on 6/21/12 12:25 am
thanks so much.  Yes, I had about 90-100 pounds to lose, so 70 feels good.  I've also been measuring inches, and so far 41 off - almost 12 inches off my hips alone.  I'd recommend that you do a good set of measurements before your surgery and track that about once a month.  Sometimes when the scale isn't moving as much as you'd like, the inches are flying off. 

It comes off in a strange kind of way, so be ready for that.  In the beginning, I was losing about a pound every 3-4 days, and that happened for a few months.  Then, things start to slow down.  I have plateaus that last for about 6 weeks where virtually nothing happens.  If I start upping my protein significantly, then it suddenly breaks, and about 8-10 pounds come off fast.  And then everything stops again.  It freaked me out at first, but I know it's just how my body works with all of this, so now I don't freak about it.

I'm not sure what will happen with this final push of 20-30 pounds, but I'm also not worrying a lot about it.  I am open to wherever my body takes me, and where it stops.  It will be ok.  I really do care more about my blood sugar than the scale.

The one thing that seems so crazy is how quickly your sizes change, so be ready for that.  I don't know how much you have to lose, but I have gone through about 5 sizes so far and sometimes, pants don't really fit for more than about 3 weeks.  People say, "Oh, isn't shopping so fun?" and I don't find that it is at all.  I'm always looking for something that will be functional but not expensive because I don't know how long it will last..  I am now out of plus sizes and I found that a bit overwhelming.  I'd gotten so good at knowing what fit me in that area, that transitioning over to a whole new part of the store was a little much at first.  But, I'm figuring it out.  I'm about a 14 or 16 petite now - who the heck ever thought I'd need PETITIES?  Sheesh.

So glad this is coming together for you.  Just do what they tell you and don't try to deviate.  That is critical and will help ensure your success long-term!
wannabehealthytoo
on 6/21/12 8:00 am
 I have way over 50lbs. to lose..  If I followed the Dr.'s charts probably 70.  I am 5' and weigh 184.  with a BMI of 35.9.  
Wish me luck as I see the phych. today.

I am also very excited to have found out that my insurance will cover everything.  I thought I would have to pay 500.00 for every night I spend in the hospital, but I don't.  
Thanks for your support.
wannabehealthytoo
on 6/22/12 6:52 am
 Update:  I had my phych. evaluation yesterday evening.  It went better than I thought.  I think that because I've been seeing a dietitian for the past 4 months and following a meal plan very similar to the one the bariatric dietitian gives us, he didn't really ask questions.  So 4 appointments down, and way more to come..  I look at it like a step closer to having a healthier life.
G.
jackietex
on 6/22/12 12:04 pm
I had RNY on 2/15/2012 and am very happy with the results. While it is great to lose weight, the reason I had bypass surgery was because my type 2 diabetes was catching up with me. My A1c was creeping up, I was on 2 oral medications, my kidneys numbers were starting to get worse (both of my parents were on dialysis before they died), I had a fatty liver, I was on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and I had, at age 47, moderate arthritis in my knees. It was getting very depressing. When I left the hospital after surgery I was taken off all medications except my antidepressant to see how I was doing. My diabetes didn't go into remission immediately like some do, but my numbers have dropped steadily. The last few weeks my fasting has been around 95 and my blood pressure is normal. Best wishes!

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

wannabehealthytoo
on 6/22/12 3:42 pm
 Oh my goodness Jackie, getting of the meds is great.  Congratulations!!!  I hope that I too can get off all those medications.  I am anxious yet nervous to get it done.  I am still undecided whether to ask for a sleeve surgery instead of the RNY.  What surgery did you have done?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 164 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 492 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 834 views