Mindless Sabatoge HELP !

pattyjonichols
on 10/20/12 12:33 am
I have just gone through 2 of the dumbest days in my life.   I'm exactly one month AWAY from my Roux-en-y surgery.   The Dr. has me pre-trying the liquid fasting.  Since I started Oct 6 my Blood Surgar levels are doing really good for the most part.  I was way out of control prior to starting. I've lost 10 pounds too.    But yesterday I went to a specialty market that has FOOD SAMPLES all over the store and before I knew it I was tasting everyting.  That lead me to a binge of Chinese Food and a donut topper to boot the the next morning.  I have a headache, dry mouth, cramps and blood level of 187 ouch.   This was all without any type of thinking about consequenses.     I'm able to be ok now but what happens if I do this in one month after surgery.  OMG!  What happens if you mess up and eat.
Please give me insight.
Patty Jo
Michigan
funkyphillygirl
on 10/25/12 4:10 am
Hi Patty Jo:
Please remember that, after surgery, you won't be ABLE to fit those things into your small pouch.  You also will have a change in your appetite, so you won't be as driven to do what you just did.  I'm not saying you won't feel tempted, but you will be PHYSICALLY UNABLE to do the same thing. 

The month before surgery is very hard on most people because there is this feeling that you are doing a "farewell tour" to eating.  I absolutely refused to allow myself to do that because I knew that it would screw up my blood sugars terribly and cause my liver to be fatty (which puts you at risk for having open vs. laparoscopic surgery). 

Please try to make some peace with the farewell tour - lots of people do it and I think you need to just figure out what yours will be.  I will just say that you WILL eat again, you WILL eat foods you like, albeit in small portions again and this is not the end.  Try to think of it as the BEGINNING, and you just might treat yourself better in light of that?

Best of luck.  Do you have a surgery date?

pattyjonichols
on 11/1/12 12:31 pm

Thanks so much for the good advice and words of encouragement.   MY SURGERY is scheduled for Friday November 16.

Starting my two week liquid diet this Friday the 2nd.   I really do appreciate the comments and advice...every night I read the posts in OH and I know I'm NOT alone.... that is the most comforting of all.

Night all  ...  Patty Jo

funkyphillygirl
on 11/1/12 2:15 pm

Excellent - please post to let us (me) know how you are doing, both pre- and post-surgery.  It's an anxious time - these next few weeks - so just try to be easy with yourself and know that you are not alone.

Here's the cool part though -  - soon you will be on your way to losing weight.  You really won't quite believe when it starts to happen, and you'll be convinced you'll be the only one who won't lose weight from the surgery.  We all think that!

Here's another something that no one told me - so don't freak out - but you actually gain weight right after the surgery.  Since they use a lot of fluids during the process, you will come home having gained weight.  No one told me that, and I jumped on the scale when I arrived home after RNY, only to see that it was 10 pounds MORE than the morning of surgery.  I really should have realized that, since my ankles were HUGE, but I wasn't really prepared for that part!

My highest weight a few years ago was 262.  I was holding at 247 for the months (and years) before surgery.  Today, almost 14 months since my surgery, I am 169.  And I am perfectly fine with that.  I went from a size women's 22/24 to a regular petite 14.  I am fine with that as well. 

Best of luck, Patty Jo.  You won't need luck if you follow what you are told to the letter.  It works.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views