Blood sugar drops over and over What To DO?

pattyjonichols
on 11/4/12 1:55 am

I've had low Blood Sugar before and always corrected it.  This time it is different.  I'm in a 15 day PRE-surgery modified liquid diet.  About 3 days ago I woke up during the night shaking, weak, sweaty and somewhat confused.   It has happened every night since.   Blood Sugar Level Thursday 92, Friday 75,  Saturday 68.    I'm STILL shaking and weak, but the BS is 147, 164 and 138 during the daytime.  Oh and my hair is falling out  ugh!   Yep I'm going to see my PCP on Tuesday, but until then do any of you have suggestions.  Husband works nights and I'm scared to be alone!   Oh yes, I take Lantus Insulin at night before bed.  Before this diet I took 95 units, one week ago they cut it to 85 units, then 70 units.   What gives?

Thanks

funkyphillygirl
on 11/5/12 5:03 am

You need less Lantus - that's for sure.  I was not required to do any special pre-op diet because of my blood sugar.  My surgeon preferred that I keep my blood sugars stable.  Call you doctor and drop that Lantus back!

Good luck!

pattyjonichols
on 11/5/12 10:36 am

Thank you Funkyphillygirl.   I have an appointment Tuesday with my Doctor.   As you said I cut back last night and it was much more normal.  AH HA!!

Patty Jo

Michigan

funkyphillygirl
on 11/5/12 1:35 pm

Patty Jo - that's great.  You'll need to do that frequently after surgery as your needs will change dramatically over time.  I was at 40 Lantus before surgery and now am at 14, so you can imagine the number of adjustments I've made over the past 13 months.

I know a FANTASTIC diabetic educator whose office is in the Philadelphia area, but he does a lot of work with people over the phone or Skype.  He really got me straightened out post-surgically and helped me change my entire dosage schedule.  He is also diabetic, on a pump and gets it.  After 26 years as a diabetic, I didn't think there was much more to learn, but wow - have I!

His name is Gary Scheiner and he is the owner of Integrated Diabetes.  He wrote a really interesting and informative book that has helped me a lot,called "Think Like a Pancreas"  Here's the web address if you want to check out some of what he has posted

www.integrateddiabetes.com

I know you have a lot on your mind right now, so just hang on to this.  Or ask about it again later if needed and I'll repost.

pattyjonichols
on 11/7/12 12:56 am

Thank you so much for the website...I'll check it out.   Dr. DROPPED my nighttime Lantus from 95 to 50 and I have not had any more problems.  I'm pretty much completely off of NOVOLOG 3 times a day...and I don't have surgery until Nov 16.  Now I'm starting to get excited.   I appreciate your quick response.

Patty Jo

funkyphillygirl
on 11/8/12 1:53 am

It should keep happening!  Perhaps you will be one of the ones who can get off your medication.  Even if you have significant reductions, just think how great that is.  It also means your insulin resistance is resolving....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views