Gastroparesis and Rny

CassieM
on 7/3/14 3:51 pm - St.Thomas, Canada

Hi everyone.

I am 31 years old and from Ontario Canada. I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for almost two years now. I take fast acting insulin with each meal and a night time insulin. I also have gastroparesis. I have no symptoms of this, but a gastric empty tests shows I have it. I am in the process of going thru to have a gastric bypass and I am wondering if any of you have had gastroparesis and had weight Los surgery? My understand is here in Canada you are normally turned down because of it. The nurse at my centre said it is very much so a case by case basis. 

Thank you 

cassie 

Bibo
on 9/9/14 11:33 am

I developed it AFTER WLS, and trust me, a person does not want to be dealing with both. it's horrible. Work with your doctors to resolve the gastroparesis first....there might be a way to treat that to where you can safely have the WLS.  I got ulcers after the WLS, and after those healed, my esophagus was paralyzed for unknown reasons, and my pouch empties very very slowly. I pretty much have to eat literally all day to get my calories in. I typically have to get re hydrated by IV at least once a month because IF i can swallow food without it coming back up, it stays in my pouch for to long and since we don't make as much stomach acid, it can cause food to get stuck between the stomach and the intestines. Have had two intestinal blockages as a result of this.

Doctors don't think it's related to my surgery, and I don't regret having the surgery, but i sure wish they would have caught the gastro paresis first.  It's a lot to manage both, plus when I had the ulcer, and could barely swallow the carafate (liquid med to stop the ulcer) it was pretty miserable.

If you have a good GI doctor, I would try to pin them down as to what they think is the natural progression of your particular case, and think about what you are willing to live with afterwards.

I would probably do it again, but i would really wish i was better prepared for the worst case scenario with "both" my conditions......best of luck to you......

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 160 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 489 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 831 views