Post-OP Insulin Decrease

Kathryn B.
on 8/7/04 7:07 am - Garland, TX
I am a Type 2 diabetic and insulin dependent. I take Humulin R insulin four times a day. 20 units at breakfast, 25 at lunch, 40 at dinner, and 40 at bedtime. My blood sugars range from 100-160 on my current diet of approximately 1800 calories per day. I am concerned about how much and how quickly to cut my insulin doses for the post-op diet of all liquids and less than 1000 calories per day. Has anyone gone through this? Your experience and advise would be appreciated. Kathy B.
Sugar free
on 8/9/04 2:52 pm - Star, ID
Kathy, The way I understood it was... the longer you're on insulin, the longer it takes to get off. Back in Jan.04, I was using 30 in the am, and 24 in pm. I've been on insulin for 4yrs. Now, 6 1/2 mos out, I use 15 novalog am, and the lowest dose of Glucophage in the pm. I'm feeling terrific. No more Blood pres. Meds, or pain meds. My feet no longer hurt me. I have tons more energy than ever before. Hope this helps. Sally 235/168/140?
Diane F.
on 8/18/04 7:21 am - Islip Terrace, NY
Hi Kathy, I'm sure you'll be seeing your doctor on a regular basis after the surgery to regulate your insulin usage. I used to take 60cc of Humulin N in the am, and 70 cc of the same in the pm, along with one Glucophage tablet 3x a day. You just have to watch your blood sugars and slowly decrease your insulin. Your doctor will tell you by exactly how much. I am 10 mos. post-op, and free of all diabetes medications. I have been a Type II diabetic for 17 years. My surgeon had told me that once I lost the weight, my insulin dependence will decrease or be eliminated, and he was right. It has something to do with insulin that your fat cells store. Once you eliminate those fat cells, your body can use the insulin your pancreas is producing correctly, or something like that. The key of course is to go slow, monitor yourself carefully, and listen to your doctor. Good Luck in ridding yourself of this dreadful disease! Diane
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views