Well, this is one club I didn't want to be in, but I am...

Michelle B.
on 9/5/04 9:13 am - Kernersville, NC
I posted a while back that I had my 3 hour glucose test scheduled, and had already been diagnosed with a neuropathy. Well... my numbers were: Fasting 128, 1st hour 326, 2nd hour 283, and 3rd hour 171. She wanted to see me back on the 20th for a "diabeties talk", but with my wonderful luck, my husband was laid off the day before I found out. SOO, I called her back and she's bringing me in on the 10th because I only have until the 30th till insurance runs out. I'm trying to be optimistic that my husband will find a better job, with better insurance, within two weeks, and we'll have a fat severence check that we can just chuck in savings haha. Honestly though, I am scared to death to eat anything with carbs. My husband is jumping down my throat that I had an apple last night, and I have a lady at work freaking out any time I open a DIET coke! I'm trying to eat the way I ate when I had gestational diabeties, so at least I feel like I'm doing something kinda sorta right! So, the surgery is post-poned for me due to lack of insurance. My husband has a possible interview with Wachovia, so I would assume the insurance would be fantastic compared to the small company insurance he had before. Trying to be optimistic! -Michelle
BellaMoon
on 9/6/04 5:33 am
Hi Michelle, I am a diabetic...well actually I'm no longer in diabetic numbers since surgery, that's after having problems for over 6 years, not to mention 2 bouts with gestational diabetes before it came to stay. First off, take a breath lol, secondly tell the lady at work you are FINE with a Diet Coke, you aren't a GB patient yet, so don't sweat the soda issue, you have enough to deal with. next tell hubby to calm down about the apple, apples are one of the BETTER carbs you can eat, low on the glycemic index. Try not to become carb phobic where you eliminate good things from your diet. All carbs are not created equally. ( most ) fruits and veggies are good choices. Stick with green leafy's and non starchy veggies and lower sugar content fruits like melons, berries, apples etc. Ones like banana's tend to be higher and may give you a glucose spike. remember, you need those carbs for fiber, vitamins and brain function! One thing that can help is including a protein or a fat with your carb choice. Have some cheese, or a bit of peanut butter with that apple. The protein and fat slows down the insulin spike and makes it much more manageable. Making sure you exercise is critical, your blood sugar can drop dramatically with exercise. The same goes with staying hydrated, very importan****ch your portion sizes, eat small meals several times a day instead of 2 or 3 big ones and make the best food choices you can. The only foods I would consider "bad" are the ones with no nutritional value....chips, candy and the like. Other than that moderation is key. Remember lower / SMARTER carb is the healthy way to go ( in my opinion of course, others will have different takes on this ) I hope you get some good insurance soon. Please take care. You sound like a smart woman with alot on the ball, I'd bet you are gonna be just fine. Good luck to you! Linda ( fasting BG's in the 80's and 90's now! )
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views