HELP!!

Gretchen E.
on 1/24/05 12:09 am - Dover, DE
Hello! I am new to this group. I am a type 1 diabetic and hoping to have WLS. My first consultation is Feb 14 at John Hopkins. I am looking for type 1 diabetics or insulin dependent diabetics who have had the surgery. I am looking for any advice, stories, complications, etc... I am having a hard time trying to research this...there is not a lot of information on gastric bypass and type 1 diabetes. Is there anyone out there that can help me???? I hope to hear from you soon!!!! Thanks!! Gretchen
Janel M
on 1/26/05 3:39 am - Wheatland, PA
Hi Gretchen, I'm a Type 1 on a pump. I've been diabetic for 30 years (I've had the pump for 5 years). I had my surgery on 11/29/04 and am doing fine. My insulin requirements went from 140+ daily to 39 a day. My hemoglobin A1C went from 11 to 8 and I'm down 48 pounds. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. My only problems were initially going low but I was able to either drink juice or glucose tablets to get my blood sugar back up until my endocrinologist adjusted my dosages. I'll help any way I can. Janel
SJWendy
on 2/20/05 9:50 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi Gretchen, I've been off OH for a while, but decided to pop on the diabetic board. I'm a type 1 diabetic, for 11 yrs now. Pre-op I was taking 125+ units via my pump. 11 months ago I had open RNY, am down 98 lbs, feel great and just got all my bloodwork back and everything looks good. So I will continue my routine of protein supplements and vitamins. My insulin requirements are now about half, so I average about 50 units per day. In the beginning it was alot less, obviously due to less food intake. My AIC is 6.6 and I hope it gets better as time goes on. If I can be of any help, please contact me. Sorry, I haven't updated my profile, guess I've been living life and running around after two toddlers. But I plan to on doing a year in review on my year anniversary next month! Good luck with your consultation. You're right, there are NOT alot of Type 1 diabetics in OH that have had gastric bypass and we all need to stick together for future research and advice. Wendy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views