How long to wait before testing?

Bailey Sunshine
on 8/16/05 12:14 am - Wonderful, VA
How long should you wait before testing your blood sugar after you've eaten? I am doing a "study", for lack of a better word, to see what my blood sugar levels are throughout the day. I need these readings for the endocrinologist visit, and I am supposed to check about 4-6 times a day for this (that was the only guidelines they set, just 4-6 times a day). I am not taking any medication during this phase that will alter the blood glucose levels, and I am just eating and drinking "normally" - a non-sugar restricted diet, to see how my body naturally reacts to the sugar. I just want to know when it's best to check after you ate that will give you the best idea if you are metabolizing the sugar properly? 10 minutes? 20? 30? an hour? THANKS for your help!
Shelley C.
on 8/16/05 12:35 am - Chatham, Canada
Hi there, This is what I do, and I have been told by my Endocrinologist that this is a good way to get an accurate picture of how my glucose levels are doing over all. I test in the morning before I eat or drink anything. I then test two hours after each meal. The after meal tests will let you know best how your body is reacting to what you are eating. It might also be a good idea to test before lunch or dinner just to get some idea of what your levels are before you eat. Having the pre-meal numbers and post meal numbers will help the docs to see exactly how you are reacting to food intake. I hope this helps. Take gentle care. Shelley C
Slender_once_again
on 8/16/05 10:13 am - portsmouth, VA
Along with PRE meal testing and testing at the two hours POST meal, it will be helpful for you MD is you also keep a food log... at least for the first few visits. ESP as we need to eat snacks between "normal" meals. I often keep this record for three days before my Major visits with my MD. You should also do a FASTING AM TEST and a BEDTIME TEST. if you want a true picture of what is going on. If you are interested in how certain foods cause BGL to rise then check in 30 min post eating that food item.
Laurel
on 11/9/05 6:27 am - Glassboro, NJ
Check your sugar levels two hours after meals, before bed, and upon waking in the morning.. it comes to 5 times for the day. Most glucose monitors will keep a history for you and even have the date and time included. It'll give you an average as well. Check the little book that comes with the monitor. Not at all difficult to figure out. I'm the least mechanically inclined person I know and I was able to do it. Good Luck. Laurel
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 165 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 493 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 836 views