Insulin Pump Question

toula21
on 11/27/05 10:16 pm - Saint Joseph, MN
I started my three week liquid diet today and am excited and nervous at the same time. I am looking for anyone that had an insulin pump before, during or after surgery. I am wondering how you did during pre-surgery phase, surgery and after. Thanks - Stephanie
SJWendy
on 12/30/05 1:48 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Congratulations on your WLS......hope you have a quick and easy recovery! I've been on a insulin pump for 4 yrs, being Type 1 Diabetic for 11 yrs.....if I can answer any questions, please feel free to e-mail me. Happy & Healthy New Year! Wendy 3/15/04 278/188/150
toula21
on 12/30/05 2:07 am - Saint Joseph, MN
Hi Wendy Thanks for the response. Did you have to go back on the pump after surgery? I was able to take mine off before surgery and am now 2 weeks post-op and still have not put it back on. I am on liquids for 2 more week, so sugars have been good. I have a sliding scale and regular insulin. I have been using 2 -4 units a day only. I am very excited and hope that I do not have to go back on the pump. Take care - Stephanie
SJWendy
on 12/30/05 4:46 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Stephanie, Glad everything went well with your surgery. It all sounds all to familiar to me, with the amount of insulin your taking, however, I used Humalog in my pump. Obviously for the first 6 wks being on the liquid/puree/soft food diet you will dramatically reduce the amount of insulin you'll require, just let your endo or dr know how your doing on the dosages as time goes on. Keep a food journal w/BS numbers & insulin dosages. Are you Type 1 or Type 2? I'm insulin dependant, so I will always need insulin. My requirements started creeping back up after a few months PO went you get into a little more food/carbs, and now that I'll be 2 yrs PO in March,I'm on half the amount of insulin than Pre-op. I average about 40-50 units of Humalog thru the pump per day. When I have low blood sugars, I usually take a few Glucose Tabs or drink a little milk. Take advantage of the rapid weightloss, healthier eating habits, and exercise the first 6-9 months as I feel thats the most cructial time frame or honeymoon stage. Take it easy the next few weeks and follow your dr's orders.....its going to be a good year for you! If have any questions, my e-mail is [email protected] Wendy 3/15/04 278/188/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views