I'm pre-wls and a Type II Diabetic...:-(

Bartlettcowgirl
on 2/18/06 1:44 am - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
I'm 58 years old and have had diabetes since 1996. I'm on Actos (10mg a day) and 70 units of N insulin and 8-10 units of humulog insulin in the morning and 66 units of N insulin and 8 units of humlog insulin in the evening. I'm hoping that after I have wls, I will be able to get off the insulin and most of my other meds. I just saw my wls surgeon for the first time this week, and he said that most diabetics are off of most of their meds in one month. I probably won't be able to have the wls until the end of May since we have a big trip planned for April and first part of May. The Dr. said that it would be better to wait. I guess in case there are any complications. Would love to hear from other insulin-dependent, Type II Diabetics out there.
Kathy K.
on 2/18/06 5:32 am - Kenosha, WI
Hi Janet. I'm 55 and a Type II diabetic. I had RNY in Nov 05. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1987 and probably had it longer than that since I was diagnosed with a foot ulcer and already had tingling in my feet. I was on a total of 345 units of Humulin N and Humulog a day preop - very insulin resistant - with A1Cs of 8.5-9.5. Ugh. My endocrinologist was the one *****commended RNY. I never thought about it as an option and didn't realize its benefits until he mentioned it about 18 months ago. My hospital experience was crazy because my blood sugars would be 300s or 50s. I had to stay a few extra days, but my surgeon warned me at the first consult that I'd be in a few extra days because I was diabetic. I was discharged on 40 U Humulin N twice a day with sliding scale Humulog. Quite a dosage change already and I hadn't lost any weight yet! (True, I wasn't eating anything either!) I was very depressed early on because I had to increase my dose to about 44 U N twice a day and 8-10 U Humulog with meals during the first 2 weeks on the full liquid diet; my sugars were still in the 200s. I was drinking a lot of ff milk protein drinks initially. I was feeling sorry for myself because I thought, gee, I could be EATING and have blood sugars in the 200s! But as I started eating real food the blood glucose came down and so has my insulin dose. And with weight loss comes increased insulin sensitivity. I am now on 26 U N twice a day with maybe 2-4 U Humulog a day with 1-2 meals. 2-3 shots a day instead of 4. My endo and surgeon don't think I'll get off insulin completely - due to my age and being insulin dependent over 18 years; I don't care what dose I'm on - I just want to be controlled and have normal A1Cs. I just had my first A1C since the Nov surgery at my 3 month labs. And I'm so happy to report it was 5.5%!! My 30 day average, testing before each meal, is 103-107. And I'm lowering my dose now about 2 U a day every week. My fastings have been pretty low (for me) the last 2 weeks or so (66-72) so I keep lowering my dose. It is truly amazing. And I know everyone's medical situation is different. I know others who were only on oral agents who are completely drug free. This is my experience. I'm so happy just to have a normal A1C. I was hoping for A1Cs < 6 and my endo said he'd be happy with
Kathy K.
on 2/18/06 5:33 am - Kenosha, WI
Looks like my post was too long Just to finish - My endo is hoping my A1Cs are
Kathy K.
on 2/18/06 5:36 am - Kenosha, WI
The end of my posts are getting cut off. My endo would like my A1Cs < 7. I see him in 10 days. Hope he's happy. Good luck to you! Kathy
LUMAHAILUV
on 3/9/06 1:21 am - POWAY, CA
I'M 56 AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE II DIABETES APPROX. 20 YEARS AGO. For quite a few years I was able to control it with diet - then gradually had to take more and more oral medications. I have never taken insulin - so can't relate with that. Dr. started me on Byetta one week ago today - first time doing injections. The new medicine is helping with my Blood Sugars - I think mainly because it makes you so nauseous you can't eat anything! Dropped 6 lbs. in one week with that stuff. My Dr. assures me the nausea will pass! She told me yesterday that if my blood sugars continue to go down - she will give the green light for me to have WLS in 2 weeks! Yea! I won't be able to do it until late April though, due to family and other commitments. Would love to keep in contact with you during the coming months - as we are both pre-op and diabetic.
Bartlettcowgirl
on 3/12/06 9:27 am - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
Hi Linda, The main reason that I am planning on having wls is to get rid of having diabetes and other health problems. I've never heard of byetta, so I'm not sure how it's used. I don't have any nausea with insulin. If I do get nauseous, I usually eat crackers, and that seems to help. I test once a day and take insulin twice a day along with actos (an oral med). I, too, cannot have wls until later. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about wls because of the dramatic change in your lifestyle after the surgery. Intellectually, I know I need the surgery for my health, but emotionally, I wonder if I'll be able to handle it. I am attending wls support group meetings once a week, and get encouraged by those...so that helps. Let's keep in contact...
ohanson
on 3/18/06 9:56 pm - averill park, NY
Hi girls, I was on Byetta (which is Gia monster sliva)but it made my stomach hurt to much so I had to stop taking it oh well Now they got me on insulin for the first time (Lantus) My test readings went from the middle 200's to 325 to 378 crazy. I'm pre-op and want the BPD/DS. It is quite a project trying to lose weight before surgery when you are on insulin and Acto's (45mg) both are weight gainers Best of luck, Otto
DanB
on 5/16/06 4:32 am - Colgate, WI
Hi, I am a male, 53 years old and a diabetic for around 6 years, I think. I was on the highest dose of glucotrol, glucophage and Actos. These controlled my sugars, but I had the runs also. My endocronologist said insulin provides a better lifestyle so I stayed on 45 mg of actos, 140 units of Lantos at night and then Novalog on a sliding scale with each meal. I am now 6 months post op and down 143 pounds. I don't take Actos anymore and the Lantos has dropped to 25 units from 140. I take a Novalog shot once in a while, I think it has been a couple of weeks now dependant on my sugars. I run 110-120 most mornings. Diabetes was the main reason I had WLS. I may never go off of insulin, but man do I feel better.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 165 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 494 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 836 views