advice for adding a new dog

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/04 8:16 am - haverhill, MA
Hi fellow dog lovers! My name is Kim. I have a 7yr old Border Collie/Aussie mix. His name is Balto. I also have a cute little cat named Buttons. Recently we heard about a 5 yr old Beagle named Max who desperately needs a new home. Being the dog lovers that my husband and I are....we, of course, want to to help this dog. He is severely overweight and his current person does not think she can put in the time/effort needed for Max to go on a diet and exercise program. She will put Max to sleep if no one will take him. Well.....I cannot let someone put a dog down just because he is obese! YIKES.... My problem is that my current dog is not particularly good around other dogs. I know there is going to be a huge adjustment period. I will be home all summer to help these two dogs become buddies (I hope). Any suggestions??
max
on 5/15/04 8:23 am - Tulsa, OK
I say "GO FOR IT"! I would do the same thing, get him as soon as you can, you both will be doubly rewarded for many years!!! Max: Golden Retriever Riley: Golden Retriever Murphy: Golden Retriever "We love Golden", can you tell..... Jacque
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/04 9:28 am - haverhill, MA
Hi Jacque, Well we visited the prospective new addition...fell in love and he is in our home. It was touch and go for a bit.....my current dog (Balto, the border collie mix) tried to eat him.....went straight for the throat. I immediately went to the pet store and got a muzzle. A few hours with the muzzle and my dog has become civilized. He is now tolerating Max and is now without the muzzle. I guess he is a quick learner. All this in just 4 hours. Max is extremely overweight. He is the smaller version of the beagle. A very small dog.....but he is obese. We have a lot of work ahead of us ...rehabbing the beagle. Oh...and his former family spoke Polish...to top it off....English is his second language. Had to learn a few commands in Polish!
Most Active
Recent Topics