Not a DS'r, but concerned....

Amy R.
on 3/29/09 1:53 am
Hi DS Board Folks,

I'm not a DS so I feel kinda funny posting over here and hope it's okay.

I'm worried about Joan H.  I have kept up with her since her pre-op days and talked to her on the phone a little, but a few days ago when I called her Mom said she was on her way back to the hospital because she was dehydrated AGAIN.  She's been out of surgery about 2 months and it seems like she's been sick the whole time....

You guys seem to take care of each other pretty well over here - have any of you heard from her? I'm going to call again today, but just wondered if/who was keeping an eye out for her over here? Could you PM me or just let me know if there is anything I can or should be doing to support her?  I know our surgeries aren't the same, so wasn't sure if there were encouragements specific to the DS that I could be giving her....

Thanks and be well everyone!
amy

jpconnie
on 3/29/09 2:26 am - DeRidder, LA

Amy, it is so ok that you post here!  Thank you for the sort of update and concern.  I don't know anything about Joan H, but just wanted to reassure you about posting here.  As for DS support, sip sip sip, walk walk walk, eat a little something every couple of hours.  Thanks for caring! connie

Redhaired
on 3/29/09 4:12 am - Mouseville, FL
Amy-
The last post from her was on the 23rd.  You can find the post at:       http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3893030/Update-on-me/#3 1297786

I certainly hope that she is doing ok and has not had to go back into the hospital.  I will be keeping my fingers crossed. 

Thanks so much for the update.

Red

ladydi1970
on 3/29/09 4:33 am - GA
I spoke w/her via email, last Wed or Thurs.

She said she's over the "what the hell did I do to myself" stage, and that she was feeling much better.

The issues she was having had nothing to do with the DS, that in fact they were scared she had a much greater problem (but I let her tell if she wants to) but that she ended up being OK.

That she loved Dr. Husted, and that he was right on top of everything that was going on with her, and got every doctor involved that needed to be.

I hope we hear from her soon, hopefully she's just dehydrated, and will be back from the hospital soon.

Poor lady has had a rough go of it!

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

Amy R.
on 3/29/09 4:41 am, edited 3/29/09 4:45 am

Thanks for your responses.  Yes, she seems to have had a rough go of the whole deal - like someone said, def not specific to the DS itself, but due to various and sundry other fun stuff.

Just got off the phone with her Mom and she says that every time she tries to get anything down she still gets sick, but at least she IS back home from the hospital.  Thank God she has her Mom to stay with.  I just hate to think of her suffering so much and hope she feels better really soon.

Thanks for the updates!  I figured some of you had been keeping close track of her and knew what was up!

amy

Edited to add:  Thanks for the link Red.  I don't usually see the DS Forum much so I didn't realize she had posted a few days ago....

Valerie G.
on 3/29/09 11:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Dehydration is a viscious cycle.  It causes nausea, which leads someone to want nothing to do with food or drink, which leads to further dehydration.  It sucks for those who suffer from it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy H.
on 3/29/09 7:36 am - Kent, WA
Thanks for checking up on her, Amy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

zabs
on 3/29/09 11:43 am
 I'm glad to see this too.  I guess I missed her update.  I really hope Joan is on the mend soon.  I feel so bad for all that she has gone through.  Thanks for checking in, Amy :)
Started researching the DS in Dec 2008.  2 years and one baby later(my 3rd), I'm finally switched!

Joan H.
on 3/29/09 12:28 pm - Manchester, KY
Hello everyone,

Yes I had to go to the hospital again a few days ago to get some IV fluids because of dehydration....I just can't seem to get past that....My arms and hands look awful from all the IV sticks, lol.....I will be going tomorrow again to see if the drain can come out of my side....It's still draining a lot so I don't think it will be, but I'm hoping.....

I have my good and bad days now......Some days I cannot eat without throwing up and then other days I have no problem, but I still have nausea everyday.....I'm still working on the fluids and proteins and all the vitamins, but I've not been able to get it all in yet.....(this worries me)

People are starting to notice my weight loss, especially in my face and arms......Just getting rid of the 73 lbs feels so much better......

HW: 345
SW: 323
CW: 154.4
GW: 150
Georgina R.
on 3/30/09 5:50 am - Bakersfield, CA
Joan, I hope your progress continues!  I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Congratulations on the 73lbs though!  Hooray!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 368 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views