EXCRUCIATING pain from hemorrhoids. Please help! TMI

~ Leelee ~
on 5/2/09 8:23 am, edited 5/2/09 10:47 am - CO

I am in a world of pain.  To the point where I dread having a bm and when I do I scream and cry.  I have had horrible constipation since having my DS and as a result had initially strained to defecate.  I suspect the straining is what probably brought on the hemorrhoid.

Nothing I seem to do is helping and it's been going on 5 days now, only getting worse.  I've tried sitz baths, ice packs, upping fiber with Benefiber, stool softeners, MOM, witch hazel.  Nothing relieves the pain during or after a BM except lying down and waiting.  It's really disrupting my life.

As it is the weekend, I can't see a do****il next week.  In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the pain or shrink the roid?  I've googled and googled and can't seem to find any kind of home treatment that I haven't already tried.

And regarding fiber, should I just say screw the carb count and start eating lots of apples and fiber?  Doing this will undoubtedly lower my protein intake as well seeing as carbs are so filling.

Thank you for your help.  :)

ETA:  I drink 70oz of water/day, so I do not believe that is the issue.  And I no longer strain.
Lisa Height 5'10"  HW 335/SW 321/Dr GW 185/personal GW 165/CW 148.  150cm CC!
Dr's goal weight reached JUNE 2010! Presently healthy, active, size 4/6, & below "goal".

KRWaters
on 5/2/09 8:28 am - Manteca, CA
Have you tried TUCKS pads to wipe the sore area, or Annusol-HC. Or they have hemorrhoid cream to put on sore area. Preparation-H is another product.  I see  you have used Benefiber, and then there is Fiber Choice, which I have used, a chewable, fruit flavored. Just some suggestions here. I hope you get this kind of pain taken care of; it can be a reall bummer to live with.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

~ Leelee ~
on 5/2/09 8:31 am - CO
 Thank you, Karen.  Tucks are witch hazel, which I have tried.  I've been reluctant to try Prep-H because I have heard that it can actually make the condition worse in some instances.  But at this point, I am desperate, so I just might.  

I haven't heard of Annusol.  Is it OTC or prescription?
Dr's goal weight reached JUNE 2010! Presently healthy, active, size 4/6, & below "goal".

KRWaters
on 5/2/09 9:20 am - Manteca, CA
Lisa, I have never heard of of such creams/products making the condition worse, especially if it is as bad as  you sayd. Anusol-HC is same as preparation-H, just a different brand. Either one will work.  No prescription needed for either. I used to have pain from hemorrhoids before my GB and I wwas using Preparation-H daily, sometimes twice a day, for a couple of weeks at a time and it did clear up, . I never had to get any other product and the relief was exhilirating. You really need to attack this problem head on, or butt on as the case may be.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

scrapper5
on 5/2/09 8:38 am - Burnsville, MN
Lisa, I am so sorry that you are struggling with this.  I have really had trouble with constipation with my DS too.  When you add these fiber supplements ot your diet you almost need to double your water intake.  It dries you out more.  You should be aiming for like 120 ounces of water.  This could definetly still be the problem.  I ended up with a fissure because of my constipation so I really do know the pain, but no suggestions on the roids. 

As of late the only thing that is curing my constipation is eating a salad a day.  Lots of meat and cheese and eggs with some lettuce.  The cup or half cup of lettuce that I am getting is just enough to loosen me up.  Plus then the salad dressings I am adding have lots of fat.  I am using LOTS of bleu cheese dressing.  This may be an option.  I know you are early out, but you may want to give it a try.  Just a little bit may help you a lot.  Oh I still take 4 stool softeners everyday.  Now that I have started the salads and it is helping I am backing down to three and seeing if that will do it and then continue down from there.  Good Luck! 

Jennifer

~ Leelee ~
on 5/2/09 8:44 am - CO
 Thank you, Jennifer.

Ouch!  A fissure!  I know you must know the pain then.  It's horrible.

Makes sense drinking more water.  In my head it didn't make sense adding a fiber supplement as I thought the bulky stool would just hurt more.  And I'm barely getting 70oz of water in, so maybe I should stop the bulking agents.

Lettuce sounds like a good idea.  I'm taking in a LOT of fat with dressings, olives, fatty cheeses, etc.  I'm also taking a stool softener 4x/day.  It breaks my heart to hear that you still have to take them.  Are they o.k. for us to take for extended periods of time?

Thank you so much for your reply!!!

scrapper5
on 5/2/09 8:50 am - Burnsville, MN
My surgeon told me it is better to take them then to suffer with the fissure.  So, I take them.  He said there was not any side effects to worry about.  Hopefully you will find some relief.  I know the water thing did not make sense to me either, but it has been drilled into me since then...

Good luck!

Jennifer

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/2/09 3:44 pm
Just a few more thoughts - cheese is the only thing that plugs me up, so watch the cheese intake right now (salad does help though).
Any chance you are on pain killers? Those are definite poop stoppers as well.
~ Leelee ~
on 5/3/09 2:55 am - CO
 No, I wish I was on pain killers, but I'm intentionally avoiding them b/c I know they cause constipation.  :(  I also do not eat much cheese at all.  Definitely a stopper upper.

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/09 8:41 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 363 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views