What is the EWL Percentage Formula?

Liaazul
on 6/11/09 6:07 am - MD
I read in a post here some kind of formula of weight loss that happens to DSers. For what I grasped, a weight loss of 50% of your excess weight is expected for your 6 months post op.

I'm a RNY, but with some great DSers friends, and I never heard of a formula for RNYs.

Anyone could explain this to me better? Perhaps I can see if translates to RNYs too.

Thanks.
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us on the Lightweights Board!

MajorMom
on 6/11/09 6:18 am - VA
I've read about it but I never paid it too much mind. It's an average thing and all bets are off with lightweights. If somebody has the formula, I'll bet it's pretty close, if not the same for RNYrs. We've run a couple of polls on the LW board and you can't tell who had what surgery based on the WL by month. I'm thinking it might be something like 25% at 3 months 50% at 6 months, 75% at 9 months and 90-100% at a year. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/09 6:22 am, edited 6/11/09 6:22 am
Christine X.
on 6/11/09 6:24 am - TX
I don't know that there is any formula that would calculate expected weight loss, as everyone is different, with different amounts of weight to lose. There is a formula to calculate how much of your excess weight you HAVE lost, regardless of which month you are in.

Start weight minus goal weight = excess weight
Start weight minus current weight= amount lost
Amount lost divided by excess weight= percentage of excess weight lost

Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

Liaazul
on 6/11/09 10:33 am - MD
Cool! Thank you guys for the formula. I'm glad I'm meeting the projected 50% weight loss at 6 months out.
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us on the Lightweights Board!

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/09 9:30 pm
Thanks for the formula. So, from my surgery, at 10 months out, I've lost 68% of my weight. Not bad for a revision.

But, here's the great number. From my highest weight when I had my RNY to today, I've lost 83% of my weight. I started this long journey at 412lbs back in 2000. With one revision and a DS revision. Which finally did the trick, I am doing better than I thought.

Every now and then you loose sight of the progress you've made. Sometimes it's good to look back.

Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 785 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views