Is the DS destined to be the red-headed stepchild of WLS?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/29/10 1:01 am - Tuvalu
On January 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM Pacific Time, Sarah B. wrote:
Very interesting....Glad I got my Beta! It is extremely frustrating to me when doctors disuade patients from the DS through misinformation. Earlier today I was rewatching the PBS documentary "Fat: What No One Is Telling You." And they have this young man with a BMI of 70 a lap band. A friggin' lap band! BMI of 70! His surgeon was counseling him that "taking away the hunger takes away the obesity." My ass. That guy needs serious malabsorbtion. I couldn't get over it. He seemed to do ok with it early on, losing 170lbs at the time of filming. But he was still clearly morbidly obese and who knows where he's at now. Sigh. 
For the three YEARS I had the LapBand, I was hungry.  All the time.  I did not grow a naive stomach...my stomach knew it was empty!  Never felt full or satisfied.  Always felt "plugged up."  My brain thought my esophagus was plugged up (because it was).  So it sent gallons of viscous goo to slime up the esophagus and "wash through" whatever was stuck.  But all that did was give me more to barf up.  At any restaurant, the FIRST thing I did was locate the restroom and research how many stalls there were.  If there was only one, we went elsewhere.  I had to be able to barf in a hurry.

Hunger does NOT go away with the LapBand.  What goes away, for many, is the ability to eat a salad...a chicken breast or grilled fish, because it all gets stuck and you barf it all up.  But milkshakes--which I NEVER consumed before the band--were doable.  So was ice cream.  (Did I mention that I've always been a bit lactose intolerant so I generally didn't eat that stuff...but the band didn't give me a lot of options.)  Meringue cookies which melt in your mouth were something I could eat with the band.

I think that if you're 80 pounds overweight and will settle for losing 40 pounds at best and don't mind additional surgeries to fix or replace or remove the band, it's a great idea. But you know how people always say, "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy?"  The band is something I WOULD wish on my worst enemy.

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

Chad M.
on 1/29/10 1:43 am - Indianapolis, IN
Sue, I'm starting to think you have something against lap-bands.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/29/10 1:47 am - Tuvalu
 Moi?

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

Sarah B.
on 1/29/10 8:50 am - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Sue, that sounds positively torturous. I'm so glad I didn't have a band!!!
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

(HW 317 / SW 301 / GW 169 / CW 144 & LOVING my DS! / 5' 9")
Jackie D.
on 1/28/10 12:03 pm - Hudsonville, MI
The internest at my surgeons office told me preop that I was too thin for the DS at 268 pounds and that I should have the RNY.  I was so upset thinking I couldn't get it.  My surgeon saw me next and said it was my choice which I wanted and he didn't think the DS was just for 50 BMI or higher.
In the end I won... I got my DS and I am maintaining 4 years out.  I'll take the red head any day!

Redhaired
on 1/28/10 12:29 pm - Mouseville, FL
HEHEHEHEHEHE

ladynitewolf
on 1/28/10 12:04 pm - BFE, CA
I think we're past the "it's all about the Benjamins" even though it's probably part of the equation. I completely agree that the DS is Betamax versus the VHS of the RNY. Betamax was the better solution, but VHS capitalized on its cheaper price point (oh wait! The Benjamins again!) and pried the door open so far that Betamax got smashed against the wall. Hmmm.

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

hayley_hayley
on 1/28/10 12:15 pm
we got the DS and that is all that matters. The fact that we could get it leads me to believe the ds will have it's day.  just a shame that so many ppl will have to go thru the heartbreak of another failed weight loss. 

the ds is not a cure but atleast i have a better chance

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

jeff N.
on 1/28/10 12:25 pm, edited 1/28/10 12:32 pm - Hagerstown, MD
 Yes we probably are always going to be the red headed step child, but you know what I like being a rebel.  Then there is the whole mayo clinic, I think people think way too much of the place.  Just because world leaders, diplomats, etc... go there.  It is really just another medical institution.  The mere mortals with insurance don't see the same doctor's as they get to, because once again they have the money.  You will also probably leave the place with more questions than answers.  And I also think you will never find a surgeon that does not perform the DS ever say anything good about it.

Jeff
Join us on the July,2012 DS Cruise II, INTERESTED,Contact me.
Link to our FB Cruise page:  
www.facebook.com/home.php
495 HW/ 238 CW/ 225 or wherever GW 

Redhaired
on 1/28/10 12:30 pm - Mouseville, FL

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 380 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 830 views
Need help for my mom