Mayo clinic PDF file I have it. DS versus BPD w/DISTAL GASTRECTOMY Scopinaro procedure

kitkat24
on 2/5/10 5:07 am

DUODENAL SWITCH

First described as a bariatric operation by Hess and

the DS was developed as a hybrid procedure combining the

BPD reported by Scopinaro et al^ and the operation described

by DeMeester et al.-^ Although conceptualized to

avoid the risk of stomal ulceration and dumping symptoms,

large case series have reported a decreased incidence of

severe protein-energy malnutrition with the DS technique

compared to that reported with BPD. The procedure involves

transection of the first portion of the duodenum with resection

of the greater curvature of the stomach, leaving a 100- to

150-mL lesser curvature-based gastric sleeve with an intact

antrum and pylorus (Figure 4, A). The proximal ileum is

divided 250 cm from the ileocecal junction, and the

biliopancreatic limb is anastomosed to the distal ileum creating

a short (100 cm) common channel.

*****DS Duodenal Switch versus Scopinaro procedure:  BPD Bilopancreatic diversion with distal gastrectomy that removes pyloric sphincter.******

OTHER MALABSORPTIVE PROCEDURES

Several additional malabsorptive procedures merit brief

discussion. The BPD described by Scopinaro''' is a malabsorptive

(short common channel) procedure combined

with a distal gastrectomy that is capable of producing

marked and sustained weight loss. However, the increased

incidence of stomal ulceration. severe proteinenergy

malnutrition, diarrhea, and dumping has limited its

broad acceptance.

http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdf?vid=10&hid=13&sid=a91c77d 0-5acf-4b38-bcd0-bac77daeac91%40sessionmgr4

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

jeff N.
on 2/5/10 5:25 am - Hagerstown, MD
 I find it funny that the Mayo Clinic would put anything out on the DS being that (to my knowlege) no longer have a surgeon in their program that performs the DS.  But then again I do not think to highly of the Mayo Clinic and the way they deal with the normal patients (as in people with insurance) and that I wouldn't even send a cat there (and i'm not a fan of cats).

Jeff
Join us on the July,2012 DS Cruise II, INTERESTED,Contact me.
Link to our FB Cruise page:  
www.facebook.com/home.php
495 HW/ 238 CW/ 225 or wherever GW 

Joe_C
on 2/5/10 5:56 am

I had the DS at Mayo this past October.  Dr. Kendrick has been there for several years and does the DS.  I had a wonderful experience there.  He did laparoscopic surgery on me when alot of others would have done open because of my size.  I was home after 2 1/2 days and ready for work the next week (waited the 2 weeks before I went back).  His assistant was awsome (and hot!).  I believe I had great care there.  But there are lots of goods doctors that help us, I am just glad there are so many that help people like us.  Losing this heavy weight is awsome!

>>>Approved!!! Surgery 10-19-09<<<
              Starting an improved new me

jeff N.
on 2/5/10 6:09 am - Hagerstown, MD
 My bad..  I did not know there was a doctor there that did the DS.  Its good to know there is a third doctor in the state that now does the DS. The more the better.   I wasn't trying to say the doctors there were bad, just in the past (15-20 years ago), they sort of picked and choose who they wanted to see.  And they didn't like dealing with insurance companies.  I had 5 family members (grandparents, aunt, uncle and mother) that went there and left with more questions than answers and all ended up getting treatment they needed at other facilities.  Maybe they are changing their ways.  Good luck to you on your journey, i see you had your surgery a couple days before me.

Jeff
Join us on the July,2012 DS Cruise II, INTERESTED,Contact me.
Link to our FB Cruise page:  
www.facebook.com/home.php
495 HW/ 238 CW/ 225 or wherever GW 

Joe_C
on 2/7/10 9:50 pm
I think all the DS docs here in Minnesota are good.  I haven't seen anything bad posted on any of them, it is just great that there are so many options here.

kitkat24
on 2/5/10 8:10 am
There is another gal who is an RN who had her surgery in Rochestor MN too!  How long does he make the Common Channel?  :)
Kathy

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

Joe_C
on 2/7/10 9:58 pm
He examines each case but usually goes for the 100cm.  The main difference from what I see compared to the other doctors is the vitamins.  The 1st 3 months its a tums ultra for calcium and a kids chewable for vitamins both twice a day and a B-12 shot once a month.  They prescribe the B-12 shot so it goes through the insurance.  After the 3 months you keep the B-12 shot but the Vitamin is an adult complete multivitamin and switch to calcium citrate.  Also, they purposly drag their feet and it takes about 4 months to get the surgery as they have you go through a 12week LEARN program that examines your problems for weight gain initially.  I have been completely happy so far.

mnlisad
on 2/8/10 5:34 am - Rochester, MN
Hi Joe!
Dr. Kendrick did my surgery too.  ALMOST 4 years ago now.  And he still does them.  I've done great...over 200 lbs weight loss. Lap surgery, no complications and have had all 4 of my reconstructive surgeries here--soooo HAPPY with everything.  Interesting...it must depend on who you see in endocrine, I was started on calcium citrate and no children's vitamins either...how long ago did you have your surgery?  Nice to see another Dr. K patient here! 

Duodenal Switch 4/25/06
Pre op weight: 368
Day of surgery: 345
Current weight: 156
9/08--176# Lower body lift and brachioplasty--now 156#!
4/09 Medial thigh lift/thighplasty and BA/mastopexy! 

RainyDayWoman
on 2/8/10 5:42 am - Fridley, MN
You are taking extra A and D, I hope, at the very least?
Lilypie - (SzbI)
mnlisad
on 2/8/10 5:48 am - Rochester, MN
Yes..I didn't list all my vits..just referenced what Joe mentioned.  ADEKs, vitronC along with the other vits.  I'm followed very closely by my endocrinologist. 

Duodenal Switch 4/25/06
Pre op weight: 368
Day of surgery: 345
Current weight: 156
9/08--176# Lower body lift and brachioplasty--now 156#!
4/09 Medial thigh lift/thighplasty and BA/mastopexy! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 679 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views