Feeling tired after getting labs drawn?

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 5:10 pm
DS on 10/19/09 with
This is probably a Captain Obvious sort of question, but I'm going to go ahead with it anyway. 

Does anyone else feel really exhausted for a day or two after your labs are drawn? I just had my 16 vials taken Saturday (plus 2 wasted tubes because the idiotic woman didn't know what she was doing or how the human anatomy works!). Anyway, I felt a little lagging for the rest of the weekend, but not too bad. But after running around all day today, I feel dead on my feet. 

Even though it's 48 hours later, I'm wondering if it could be related to the 18 tubes of blood? Could maybe my iron have dipped or something? If anyone else experiences this, I'd be interested to know.
shele
on 6/21/10 5:22 pm, edited 6/21/10 5:23 pm

Maybe it is just the thought.. it looks like a lot of blood, but its not that much...

got this from yahoo...someone asked about getting 3 vials drawn..

The volume of blood that a Vacutainer tube draws out of you is small, and can range from about 1 ml (for the tiny pediatric tubes) to about 10 ml for the normal sized tubes. There may be larger ones that I'm not familiar with.

The three tubes that were withdrawn from you represent about 30 ml at the most, which is one ounce (like a small medicine cupful)

In contrast, blood donation is about a pint, or 450-500 ml (they actually weigh the blood, so the volume varies), and that's about 10% of what most people have in their bodies.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080130104842AA xKwlq

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

jonathanac
on 6/21/10 5:23 pm - NY
DS on 07/13/10 with
Im pre-op and probably have a lot more blood to spare, but I feel fine.

I just had my pre-op blood work done this afternoon and it was crazy. I went in with a script and a list of all the vitalady tests I wanted done. It was about 15 tubes, then when I got home they called me back to do 3 more.

BTW, they didnt do Vit-B (1 or 6) because the Dr. didnt tell them blood or plasma?? Figured it wasnt too big a deal because it wasnt even on the surgeons list, just one of the extras I requested
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

Sunshine16
on 6/21/10 5:41 pm, edited 6/21/10 5:41 pm
DS on 06/30/10 with
Girl No, you are not alone. I"m preop, and the first time I had my blood drawn for ths precedure I was exhausted and irritable.  I was so exhausted I cancelled a trip, I just did not feel like going thru the whole airport experience with the energy I had.  Last week I had my blood drawn and I was tired the next day that I had to lay down in the middle of the day, and that is so not me.

You are not alone,
Sunshine

I'm already slightly anemic.
Emily F.
on 6/21/10 5:46 pm
I think it could also be dehydrated. It is a lot of blood they take. I don't care what anybody says! lol.
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 6:44 pm
I've never noticed a difference.
Sheanie
on 6/21/10 7:00 pm
DS on 08/21/09 with
Hell yeah.  Especially if you are on a 12 hour fast and off all vitamins before the draw (I am).  Considering I normally have at least 45 grams of protein in me and alot of fluid by the time I leave the house, going NPO for 12 hours really takes it out of me. 

Do you take your protein and a drink with you to the lab?  My phlebotomist babe laughs at me because I come in with my thermos and my morning protein.  I can snarf it down as soon as the last vial is drawn.  I feel a little better when I do it that way.  

I think it takes that much out of me because I normally drink alot even in the middle of the night.   

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Sunshine16
on 6/22/10 5:29 am
DS on 06/30/10 with
Thanks Sheanie, I will definitely try this for the next round of blood drawing.
Debbie M.
on 6/21/10 7:01 pm
Hi Jenna - I don't know anything about this - just wanted to say that I hope you feel back to your wonderful self soon.

Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 4:51 am
DS on 10/19/09 with
 Aww, thanks Debbie. I'm feeling like a million bucks today, so who knows what that was about?
dogma2karma
on 6/21/10 7:01 pm - Suburbia, CA
My last one was 26 vials and I seriously needed a steak (and nap) after.  
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 4:52 am
DS on 10/19/09 with
 26!!! Oy vey.
Sunshine16
on 6/22/10 5:30 am
DS on 06/30/10 with
Dang girl did you have any more blood left in you, sounds worse than an actual vampire. lol
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 9:05 pm
I just had my pre-op labs drawn last week, and I felt pretty crappy for the rest of the day.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  Hope you're feeling better soon!
buzz97
on 6/21/10 10:16 pm - Houston, TX

WOW -- 16 vials and Dogma -- 26 vials????

JEEZZ... I just had my 3 month blood work done even though my doc doesn't do 3 month tests I told him I wanted them done.  I used his standard DS blood work list and had 8 vials taken out and I thought that was a lot!!!

My blood letting technicain was even amazed and said the most he'd ever taken before was 4 vials.

The problem is when they take that many vials they can't help but move the needle around and as a result I get this huge black and blue mark at the need entry point.  Do you all get this?

Dave

dogma2karma
on 6/22/10 3:58 am - Suburbia, CA
I have some mild deficiencies that I am working on so I have a few extra tests each quarter but yes, I did mean 26 vials.  Plus, my local lab does not actually run any of the tests, they farm out all their testing so the vials go to several different labs. I guess they are very inefficient!

The last 2 times I insisted they take an extra vial because 3 times now I have gotten "quantity not sufficient for accurate testing," on one of the tests and have had to go back for another draw.  

Thank the FSM I have big fat juicy veins and am a super easy stick... I go in the day before and give them the paperwork, they freak out initially then get all the vials ready and I make sure they have the foil to keep the one in the dark and there is one other specialized vial they need ... acid etched or some such thing...that they invariably need to order from a different branch.  

If I remember, next time I'm going to snap a cell phone piccy of all the vials.  I had to have lots of blood work for various co-morb.s pre-op and I got mild bruising when on blood thinners.  

But I am lucky to be a very easy draw.  Even with this quantity, I have so far always gotten it done on the first stick.  

I do think the lab workers feel sorry for me and give me their bestest vampire. 
D2K
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
MajorMom
on 6/22/10 3:33 am - VA
I don't get wimpy feeling after a blood draw but boy do I get heart burn, or whatever, on an empty tummy. I drink water up to the time I go in and then scarf down a protein shake as soon as they're done. It will be interesting to see if maybe your protein or iron levels are a little low. Those might contribute.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 4:54 am
DS on 10/19/09 with
Hi Gina,

Thanks for the input. I do suspect my iron might be a bit low, even aside from the blood draw. 

Have to say, I hope it's not my protein or I will officially need to panic!  I'm up to about 140 grams per day from food, and I'm still allergic to all the bars and powders. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 4:55 am
DS on 10/19/09 with
Thanks everyone for the input! I'm back to feeling full of energy today, so whatever the cause, it seems to have passed.
kirmy
on 6/22/10 7:33 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
In hospital we are always giving people "blood test" anemia.....especially little old ladies!  It works like this...you need a blood profile daily to see if your course of treatment is working.  Before you know it you've removed an entire unit of blood from their circulating blood volume in the space of 2 weeks. 

Think of it this way...most of those vacu tubes take about 8mls so you've had 16 drawn (the FBC is only 5 mls) that's about 125mls out of your circulating blood volume. 

Yup you're going to feel tired...you're going to make the blood cells soon enough but it is hardly surprising you're feeling below par.  It isn't a huge blood loss but it can be enough to make you feel funky...trust me!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.