OT - Our new addition to our family - Macy

neacres100
on 4/2/11 3:36 am - NJ
Here is our new addition to our family.  Her name is Macy.  She is a Great Pyrenees puppy.  I adopted her from a shelter in Tennesee two weeks ago.  Can you believe someone just dumped this pure breed sweet dog off??  She's going to be a big girl when she's done growing.  She's three months old and weighs 30 pounds.  She's so sweet.  I will be training her to be a Therapy Dog to visit kids in the hospital, cancer patients, alzheimer homes, and nursing homes.  she has the perfect personality for it.  Right now, she's just a puppy, learning how to walk on a leash,learning how to sit, lay down, stay, give paw.... and she has excellent potty manners already.

macy 1

macy_3
My son holding Macy at the Shelter.  Look at
the size of those paws.  She's a big fluffy puppy.

macy_sleeping

Macy sleeping in the back seat of the car.

If you are looking to add a pet to your family....please look into your shelters or rescue groups.  There are so many pets there looking for homes.  I found Macy on Petfinder.com

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
bldeck
on 4/2/11 4:08 am - Farmington, NM
Congratulations on your new child.

Both of my children came from the pound, and other then one not knowing his name we are very lucky to have them.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

neacres100
on 4/2/11 4:15 am - NJ
Thanks Betty.

She's my walking partner as well.  And you are right, they are our children.  They become so much part of the family.

Donna

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/11 4:22 am
neacres100
on 4/2/11 4:47 am - NJ

Thank you.

Being we don't know anything about her parents, my vet said she will be inbetween 100 pounds and 130 pounds.  So yes, she will be 'big."  :)

I also have a little jack russel/beagel mix that I adopted as well a few years ago.  And I have a husky spaniel mix that i adopted from a rescue.  they all get a long very well. 

Donna

MsBatt
on 4/2/11 6:01 am
My brother used to raise Great Pyrenees, and he said the pups were the size of a soda can when they were born. He had one male that was 150 pounds at maturity!
neacres100
on 4/2/11 11:52 am - NJ
Now that's a big boy!

They are so cute and tiny when they are pups, and they grow so fast in a few months.  It's amazing.

beemerbeeper
on 4/2/11 4:24 am - AL
Thank you for rescuing.  I've been thinking about adding a rescue to my canine family lately but the timing is not right.

Make sure you feed that giant breed the best quality feed you can!!!  Independent pet food stores are usually very up-to-date with knowledge of the quality pet foods.

We do therapy work too, BTW with a Therapy Dogs Internaional group.  We are going to our next visit soon.  It is very rewarding.

~Becky

neacres100
on 4/2/11 4:54 am - NJ
Thanks Becky.

Yep, I always adopt rather than buy.  All through my life, since a child, all our pets have been adopted or rescues that we found (or they found us). 

She will be going through puppy training, then advanced training, then going to be trained and certified by Therapy Dogs International.  I just started looking into what we have to do.  She just has the perfect personality, calm, and loving.  i've been taking her to parks, pet stores, car rides, and have been exposing her to a lot of experiences to socialize her as much as possible.

She is being fed giant breed puppy food and always has plenty available.  Vet said when she goes through growth spurts, she will eat like a pig, and needs to have food available all the time, with fresh water. 

She is a joy.

Donna

beemerbeeper
on 4/2/11 8:38 am - AL
Your vet is wrong.  I encourage you to find a giant breed breeder to discuss nutrtion with. Vets get about an hour of nutrition education in vet school

It reminds me of how much a pcp knows about the DS.

Free feeding any dog is a terrible idea.  And giant breed puppy food is probably exactly what the giant breed people would say not to feed.

I have a friend who breeds a giant breed.  I'll ask her for links to nutrition info and forward them to you.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 794 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 266 views