Nervous

Tiffany B.
on 4/6/11 2:15 am - Scottsburg, IN
Ok, so I am new on here and am waiting for insurance approval. All of a sudden I am completely scared of my decision to have a DS done. Is this normal? How did you get over the fear. I am sure some of the fear stems from the fact of the 6 weeks of full liquid after surgery! Help!!
Lynne
on 4/6/11 2:22 am - Macon, GA
6 weeks???   Mine was 2 then pureed food for 2 then regular food.  

To answer your question... YES fear is a normal part of this.  You are having major surgery, but it is worth it in the end.

Lynne
Highest 330,    Surgery 297,     Goal 140.     Current 130
First Dr visit - 330 -
BMI 58.4,    Surgery - 297  BMI 52.6
01/24/2011 - 196 BMI 34.7 (ONEderland YEAH!!!),                 ...GeorgiaPink
08/10/2011 Reached GOAL Baby! 140 BMI 24.0                           is my Angel.
08/24/2011
- 139 BMI 23.8 One Year Anniversary 

Tiffany B.
on 4/6/11 2:26 am - Scottsburg, IN
The dietician gave me a diet for DS and it says 6 weeks of liquid. I guess I need to confirm with the doctor.
(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 2:34 am - Lancaster, OH
Hi,
Your profile says Robert Cooper is your surgeon.  Is that correct, and if so, are you sure you're getting a DS?
(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 2:39 am - Lancaster, OH
His website doesn't list DS at all:

http://www.cooperbariatrics.com/Bariatrics.htm

I'm just trying to save you some grief, here.
Please, please go to DSFacts.com for a list of Bariatric surgeons who actually do perform the DS.

I wish you the best in your journey.
Tiffany B.
on 4/6/11 2:39 am, edited 4/6/11 9:43 am - Scottsburg, IN

Cooper is the surgeon and I had 2 options with my insurance. RNY or DS, I have chosen to get a DS. Why do you ask?

When I went for my first appointment he is the one who mentioned this type of surgery with my insurance so I am going to assume that he does it. The dietician also said that he did.

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 2:47 am - Lancaster, OH
On April 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Pacific Time, mamatoot79 wrote:

Cooper is the surgeon and I had 2 options with my insurance. RNY or DS, I have chosen to get a DS. Why do you ask?

Your insurance may cover RNY and DS, but that surgeon's website specifically says that his practice does Band, Sleeve and Bypass.  Unless he's changed course and not updated his website, I would urge you to be very careful that you don't get something besides a DS.

Some practices SAY that they perform DS, but when you get your consult with them, you are told what a horrible surgery DS is, and that you should get something else (which, conveniently, they DO perform).  (By the way, the awful side effects described are GREATLY exaggerated, as you will see by reading the posts on this forum.)

It's happened over and over.  If you hadn't already heard of it, I wanted you to be aware.

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 2:55 am - Lancaster, OH
On April 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Pacific Time, mamatoot79 wrote:

When I went for my first appointment he is the one who mentioned this type of surgery with my insurance so I am going to assume that he does it. The dietician also said that he did.

Did he say how many DS's he's performed?  And what his success rate for the DS was?  I know you're already nervous, and my goal is NOT to freak you out, but I see that you joined several months ago, but this is your first post on the DS board.

(I ask the following with a gentle voice, I want you to be well informed)
Do you know what living with a DS is like?  Have you been reading on this (DS) forum, to see how people are coping with their surgery at a week out, month out, year out?  Frequently, surgeons and their NUTs give crap nutritional advice (food and supplements) for living with a DS.  Are you sure that the info you're getting is for a DS?

Again, I would urge you to go to WWW.DSFACTS.COM and read everything you can find on there.

Knowledge is power (and better health!)
Joanlaptods
on 4/6/11 3:12 am
Hi Mamatoot
I was very nervous too especially at first when I committed to have the DS. Hearing my surgeons specific mortality rate really helped lessen my fears.Dr Gagner has had no deaths in 8 years and he does the surgery often so your choice of surgeon is very important.
  I didn't have a preop diet and was only on fluids for first 5 days . I then started pureed with yogurt and applesauce and tomato soup at first. By week 2 I started soft scrambled eggs and that felt good in my tummy. at week 3 postop I started soft foods eg chili soft fish, shrimp. I am now 4 weeks postop and feeling satisfied with these soft foods. I am getting in most of my vitamins (started vitalady's schedule) and add 2 protein shakes a day to my intake. The fatigue and crampy BM's is what I am mostly hoping will improve beyond where it is now.

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

Rors
on 4/6/11 3:24 am, edited 4/6/11 4:35 am - Johnson City, TN
Not sure how many he has done but if you click on his name the very first review of his is a DS patient perormed  6/10 so he does do it. But that patient was his first DS.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1026 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 484 views