I need to gain some weight! Help!

Piliper
on 4/7/11 1:16 pm
 Never... EVER thought I'd be asking this, but how have some of you gained weight? I'm getting pretty frail and need some good advise.

I'm very sensitive to carbs. Flour in any form kills me. So, carbs are not a great option. Potatoes might be ok. I'm definitely going to up my fat intake. I'm going to throw in a few more protein shakes as well.

Thanks for any advise!

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

Tammy_in_PA
on 4/7/11 1:37 pm - New Castle, PA
Ask your doctor for some creon. It's an enzyme that will help your body absorb more of the calories you're putting into it. Upping the protein shakes may help, but upping the fat probably will not.
 Best Wishes,
Tammy                              

Entered Onederland 01-03-2010
Century Club  01-29-2010
Goal    06-29-2010
Dancolorado
on 4/7/11 3:30 pm - Glenwood Springs, CO
Hello Everyone,

I also need to gain some weight back, right now I'm at 160 lbs and that is 20 lbs below my goal weight. I have been holding at 165 and 160 for the past 6 weeks, thank God for that. I have been trying to eat extra food, but that has back fired on me, I  been having to much Acid in my stomach and I have been throwing up for the last 5 days, and has been very painful having the hart burn. Yesterday, I almost went to the E.R.  I have been taking two acid reducers everyting for the past two months.  I have to be very careful and I need to  stay way from sugar and the carbs. Thats easier said than to done.  Need Help with the Acid.

Thanks, Dan
Elizabeth N.
on 4/7/11 11:13 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hi Dan. You need to be seen by a gastroenterologist and get scoped, if you haven't already. Do NOT delay.

Creon might help you stabilize your weight once you can eat normally again. But five days of bad vomiting is TIME TO SEE THE DOCTOR RIGHT NOW. Please go TODAY.
Julie R.
on 4/7/11 3:35 pm - Ludington, MI
 Many of us have been exactly where you are.   If I had a dollar for every person who has come on here (including myself!) saying that they are worried that they are too thin and need to gain weight, I'd be rich.   My sister is currently at the point that you are right  now, and she looks like a bean pople.   Right now, try to eat carbs in non-flour ways....potatoes and rice were helpful to me.   You will rebound and your weight will redistribute.    If your labs start tanking, then it's time to take action, but truly, just enjoy the dietary freedom and eat up!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Lori Black
on 4/7/11 9:24 pm - , IN
What Julie said! I've been there and done that as well. I tried creon and carbs for months on end. It did NOT work!! Vitalady told me to start drinking protein shakes in addition to healthy foods, and it worked! It only took about 6 weeks for things to be taking a turn for normal. I was drinking 6 protein shakes every day in addition to meals. I'm gluten intolerant like you, Piliper. Carbs only made me go to the bathroom more, so it didn't work. Hang in there. I promise you won't waste away, even if it feels that way right now. Like I told my family, it gets worse before it gets better...be patient.

Lori
dtabor5
on 4/8/11 10:13 am
LORI YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!! I was wondering if you were still around here... and as far as the gaining weight, I am holding steady at 150lbs sometimes 145 but i am not loosing anymore i guess it has been almost 2 years, but I started eating Gluten free and it has helped the upset tummy thing....

Good Luck!!!

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Elizabeth N.
on 4/7/11 11:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Creon is definitely the way to go since you have so few ways to change your diet.
larra
on 4/8/11 12:38 am - bay area, CA
And with the digestive enzymes on board, your tolerance for carbs will probably improve as well.
     And also more protein shakes for both calories and nutrition. In general, I'm not one of those people who believes we all need protein shakes for the rest of our lives, but as a temporary measure to help you over a rough spot they can be very, very helpful.

Larra
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views