protein

mary_406
on 4/6/11 7:37 am, edited 4/6/11 7:40 am - Willingboro, NJ
I have a ??? about protein, when you guys post your protein counts, is that the actaul amount of protein you have eaten, or is that the absorbed amount, I am a little confused with this. I am not sure I am doing my calculations correctly. I take the protein count for what I eat and divide by 2 to account for the malabsorption. Is the 100 grams per day before or after the malabsorption. I am not sure I am getting enough protein, I have 2 shakes w double scoops a day, plus whatever protein I "eat" during the day

Piliper
on 4/6/11 7:45 am
 It's the amount that you eat, not what's absorbed. So, you need to consume 100+ grams of protein per day. You'll only absorb 30 grams or so of that.

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

Sarah_Anne
on 4/6/11 7:45 am, edited 4/6/11 7:46 am
Here on this forum we count pre-absorption.  The reason for this is that no two people's absorption is the same.  It depends on quite a few factors, including your common channel length.

That being said, the only way you can really tell how much you are absorbing is to get your lab tests back, showing how much protein your body has.  Some people have to eat 200g a day some, like me have to eat just 100g a day to keep out levels up.  

With two double shakes a day I am sure you are doing just fine!
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
mary_406
on 4/6/11 7:55 am - Willingboro, NJ
Lol, thanks, I just wasn't sure, I see on the vites and bites that ppl list their food with the amount of protein, and I just wasn't sure, but thanks for the responses guys, it def cleared things up for me. That's why I loooove this forum !!!!!
Elia-B
on 4/6/11 2:52 pm
 Where / how can I find the vites and bites forum.  Not having any luck finding it.

Thanks!
MarciRenee
on 4/6/11 3:16 pm - IA
It isn't a forum - it is a daily thread - usually started by MajorMomhttp://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4368071/Wednesday-Bites -Vites-amp-Exercites/
Marci       
Elizabeth N.
on 4/6/11 8:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
100- plus grams is actual consumption.
Candace Sparkles
on 4/6/11 7:31 pm
As everyone else is saying - the amount you actually consume. If you drink two double scoops of protein a day you are going to be good. You can never take TOO MUCH protein though, it'll just help your skin, hair, nails, muslces etc. 

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 792 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 265 views