Money Saving Tips

Emily F.
on 4/9/11 3:33 am
 We all know its tough time for majority of us, I got into couponing and really tighten the purse strings as far as eating out and extra purchases. Meal planning and what not. I was wondering if anyone had other tips?? For example, Fage yogurt with the fruit is $1.50 each, do you guys just get the tub of vanilla and add fruit jelly to it? I can not justify the individual serving. 

Any hints would be appreciated on how you eat a healthy ds lifestyle and save money.
Emily F.
on 4/9/11 3:44 am
Forgot to add I use Digestive Advantage and print their $3 off coupon every month.
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/11 4:09 am
For the Fage, I find buying the large tub and adding my own fruit comes out a whole lot cheaper. A slow cooker is also a great investment for cooking roasts etc. I like buying roasts on sale and cooking them in the slow cooker for a few hours. Onions and seasonings added. Super yummy and it lasts a long time. Also, beefstew in the cooker is heavenly.

I'm generally living off of chicken right now. Which is fine. I've just got to be creative.

Dana
Julie R.
on 4/9/11 8:17 am - Ludington, MI
 I buy the big tubs of Oikos or Fage at Sam's and add s/f syrup or s/f jam and sometimes walnuts to it.    Yogurt keeps a while and my nearest Sam's is 70 miles away, so when I go down, I'll stock up.
I also never buy meat unless it's a "door buster' super special.   I go to three different grocery stores to get what's on special, and for example, if pork loin is on sale that week, I'll buy several and throw them in the freezer.    We were down in Detroit last week and were at a Hallal meat market to buy an entire leg of lamb.   It's much cheaper that way and Hallal lamb is the best there is.    They bone it and cut it into whatever we want.   They  also had whole chickens for $1 a piece!   Bought a slew of them!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

CharleeG
on 4/9/11 8:38 am - Jonesboro, AR
I stock up on meat when it's on sale, like chuck/english roast, whole rib eye (the butcher slices it), etc. I have a huge upright freezer and take full advantage of it. I also wind up cooking big, then freezing half, especially since I'm the only carnivore in the house. We do 'share' dairy & produce, but it's hard to stock up on those things.

Our grocery selection is limited to Sam's, WalMart & a Kroger with an inexcusably poor produce dept. There are some small chains, but they don't offer anything better and the selection is poor. I wish we had a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or hell, some kind of competition.

I don't do a lot of coupon-clipping because we don't use a lot of the stuff that has coupons. I do shop sales though and don't eat out much at all.

amccu18007
on 4/9/11 10:35 am - Newark, DE
Do you use smartsource.com? I get a lot of coupons from there. I also signed up for living social, groupon etc. and have found some deals on things through them as well. For shopping online, I go through ebates and always sign up for the stores you shop in with your email. I get coupons in my inbox everyday
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Elizabeth N.
on 4/9/11 10:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
I use Chobani, which at the moment is on sale for $.99 many places and is about that much at Costco. Also, Dannon and a couple other brands have Greek style now too, so I look for the sales.

I find the big tubs of Fage to not be better priced per serving at that rate.

I use canned chunk light tuna, not the solid white albacore stuff, either from Aldi or Costco. A can of that is 30 grams of protein for under $.50.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 972 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1165 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 430 views