Seeking information

kahlana
on 4/16/11 3:19 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I am reading on the DS website of course but I am wondering for those that have had the DS surgery: How often do you have to take your vitamins (aside from daily... that part I get) and how often in reality do you have to have your bloodwork done? What I am wondering is exactly how "high maintenance" is this surgery and the aftercare?

My Blog My Facebook

beemerbeeper
on 4/16/11 4:45 am - AL
I take more calcium than most people because I have a fear of not getting enough.  So I take 7 doses of vites in 24 hours.  That is not the usual.

I get labs quarterly.

But what I don't do is take meds for high blood pressure or high cholsesterol and the diabetes that had it's eye on me has been shot down.  I also don't take pain meds and I'm not at the physical therapist getting treatment or getting MRIs of my back/neck to diagnose the pain that was caused by obesity.

I haven't been to a doctor in 2011 other than for labs.  So as compared to before my surgery, when I was at the doctor every couple of months, the DS is lower maintenance.

But vites/protein/fluids and labs are not negotiable.  If you think those won't be possible for you EVERY DAY for the REST OF YOUR LIFE then you should not consider the DS.

~Becky

Julie R.
on 4/16/11 5:48 am - Ludington, MI
 I take vitamins about six times a day, but like Beemer, take a lot of calcium.   I take calcium with every meal, and then my multis, copper, A & D at other times.     

You should plan to have your labs done twice a year.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

kahlana
on 4/16/11 6:01 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thanks ladies! I don't mind being on vites for the rest of my life. I can deal with that as I'm usually good about taking a daily multi vitamin as it is now. I just dont want to be running back and forth to the doc all the time i am not a fan of hanging out at the doctors office any more than I have to. lol

My Blog My Facebook

MsBatt
on 4/16/11 10:38 am
Four times a day, and every six to 12 months. I'm 7+ years post-op, and I *usually* have labs annually, unless something's out of whack---then I adjust and re-test in six months. Fortunately, my insurance (Medicare) covers them 100%.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/16/11 6:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
Three to four times a day and every three to four months for me.
Helen C.
on 4/16/11 1:13 pm, edited 4/16/11 1:14 pm - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
If you go with Dr Selwyn I can tell you the exact routine for the Dr's appointments for the first year.

You will probably see him every 3 months for the first year and have labs done every three months for the first year. You will also have some appointments with his NUT Christine in the first year as you progress through the stages of the post op diet (liquids, full liquids, purees, soft foods, regular diet.) He will also have you see physical therapy at least once to get a fitness regimen established.

Now after the first year the labs get dropped back to every six months with a follow up appointment with him once a year unless for some reason you feel you need to see him or something shows up in your labs.

As to vitamins I am (or will be once I am off the TPN for my leak) following Vitaladies vitamin schedule and it calls for 4 batches per day. Of course I will tweek these as called for based on my labs.
Rena H.
on 4/16/11 5:53 pm - Spokane, WA
 i take a handful of vitamins 4-5 times a day, depending on how i divide them up.

I got my labs done every 3 months... and now every 6 months. 

i was 395 pounds at my highest - 32 years old and suffering from heart and lung failure. 
i am 33 now and weigh 190 pounds. I have my life back. 

Before i was dying... faster than i wanted. Now i am living... really living! Is the DS high maintenance? yes. is it worth it? HELL YES!!!!

good luck with your research =)
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views