Protein making me sick of my stomah

MARTINA P.
on 4/18/11 2:09 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Im finally came home from hospital and is able to eat and drink a little.  So far I have not drunk more than 25 oz of flood in a day.  I am still on TON but I am trying to drink some protein but I had not got sick of my stomach since last DEG which was on 4/15/11.  Every time I sip some of this shake I get sick of my stomach and almost throw up.  Help should I wait a little longer and try and just focus on fluids or what.  A little information I am  5 weeks out had complications to be exact a mechanical obstruction have had to have DEG 3 times and just started to be able to drink on this past Friday. 
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

SweetnessandGrace
on 4/18/11 2:21 am, edited 4/18/11 2:22 am - ID
Oh Sweetie!  I hate that this has been such a hard row to hoe!  I know how you feel about that protein drink, it makes me gag too.  I finally found EAS, which is an already prepared shake, chocolate, that I can stomach.  Everyone told me to concentrate on fluids and worry about protein after healing a bit, so maybe that would work for you too.  I drank a lot of homemade chicken broth, SF popsicles and SF Jell-O.  I am PRAYING you're finally on the path to recovery!

HEAVEN IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU GO TO MEET ALL THE DOGS YOU HAVE LOVED.

MARTINA P.
on 4/18/11 2:26 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Before surgery I drank protein everyday

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Elizabeth N.
on 4/18/11 11:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
This is after surgery. Things are different now. Haven't you read any of the stories of people's tastes and tolerances totally changing after surgery? Besides, you are barely into taking anything by mouth. Of COURSE stuff will make you sick.
dustydeer
on 4/18/11 6:41 am
Hey Martina! So glad to hear you are home. What was your discharge instructions regarding protein shakes? Were you being given them before you went home from CMC? You get all you need from your TPN but...I am sure that eventually you need to introduce, just not sure with your complication if there is something that needs rest still and time to heal.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Victorious_one
on 4/18/11 7:21 am - South Central, PA
 Hey there, Martina.  You may want to try different shake brands, different flavors, and different concoctions.  If you can, order some samples from Vitalady.  She has different brands and flavors, and you can try the ones you like.  You can mix them with water, juice, Crystal Light, milk, heavy whipping cream, half and half--whatever your sleeve and taste buds will tolerate.  It's a lot of trial and error and, yes, a pain in the *&^!  Once you find a shake or two you like, you can concentrate on drinking those.

EAS has ready-made shakes.  I used to drink the vanilla ones, but they also have chocolate and strawberry.  You can get a 4-pack for about $4 at Walmart.  Another ready-to-drink brand I've heard good things about is Premier Nutrition.  You can get some at Sam's Club or Costco.

Are you on clear fluids?  Full liquids?  Soft foods?  I'd think that you could try something like a chicken noodle soup to get in some protein (yes, you get carbs, too, but now's not the time to worry about that!).  Remember, while the TPN is backing you up, you've got to figure out what works well for you in terms of food intake.  You'll be on your own before you know it, and you'll have to eat well to sustain yourself.  

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Elizabeth N.
on 4/18/11 8:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
If you are on TPN, don't worry about the protein yet. You have only been cleared to take fluids by mouth for a couple of days. Stick with whatever does NOT make you sick and concentrate on increasing your hydration by mouth. You are going to have to take this very slow and easy while you heal. Don't try to push the limits. Give your body space to recover.
sassyjonz
on 4/18/11 8:46 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey Martina!  I am glad you are out of the hospital and home.  I know that has helped you feel a whole lot better.

Anyway, Unjury has a chicken flavored protein powder that I lived on during the liquid phase that tastes pretty good.  I don't know if Vitalady has samples but you can probably get some from Unjury.  That might go down better and I mixed it with regular chicken broth too.

Just a suggestion.

I truly hope you are on the road to lasting recovery and no more hospital visits or complications.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

KellySwitched
on 4/18/11 11:49 am - TX
Good luck with your recovery.

I'm pretty new at this too, but all of a sudden last week my protein started making me gag. Even the smell of it makes me sick. I found I was not getting enough fluids in, and when I upped my liquids I could force the protein down. I make my protien with as little water as possible so I can drink it in fewer sips. I still don't like it, but it goes down. Hopefully as you can drink more liquids the protein will get easier.

Lynda D.
on 4/18/11 4:20 pm
You might want to try changing the temperature of your fluids as well. Sometimes warm fluids are easier on the just-operated-on stomach.

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 802 views
calcium/protein