Hemorrhoidectomy - one week later (lot of TMI - be warned)

harris77
on 4/24/11 2:53 am - Marietta, GA
 Ok....I know that some of you guys (Jenna Lynn maybe?) went through this not too long ago.  I'm 8 days out from my hemmrhoidectomy and man---this surgery is not for those without iron will and nerves of steel.  In fact, I'll take childbirth without anethesia compared to this!

After my gall bladder came out about 10 years ago, I pretty much was  a regular pooper--soft to DHR.  The only exception was during a 9 month spell of pregnancy, when thanks to baby and hormones, i didn't poop hardly ever.  And that's when the hemorrhoids began.  Little raisins; or my "grapes of wrath."

Flash forward 2.5 years later (18 months post DS), and much chronic DHR later....in fact, I haven't had a "solid" since several days before my DS.  Meanwhile, those "little grapes of wrath" have grown up to be cumquats--no kidding.  When I went to the doctor for a consult (this is because I could barely walk, sit, or move because of the intense pain from the protrusion), he said that I had internal and external that were so large any of the new less invasive techniques woudl be of no value--I was too far gone.  Surgery was the only option.  

So I had the surgery last Friday and followed the instructions to the letter...even when I smirked about the mineral oil and MoM....quite certain that *I* would never need such silly things.  Boy was I wrong.  Good thing I didn't try to test him!  But regardless, I am still following my discharge sheet to the letter.  I am eating high fiber (that's eating when I can - the pain is so blinding and intense I'm often to nauseus to eat a damn thing.  I'm drowning a bottle of mag citrate a day, I'm drinking mineral oil every time I can (about 5 tbs at a time), and milk of magnesia....I've already gone throug 4 bottles in the last 5 days.

If the idea of inserting an enema through my torn and swollen wound didn't hurt so bad, I do it too.  (And with enough pain medicine in my system beforehand, I'm not ruling it out either).

And the pain - ohsweetjesusthepain.  Its a catch 22:  If I don't take the meds, I can barely keep my mind together the pain is so bad.  Seriously.  I lose it.  I see a shrink already for depression and anxiety, and they've upped my Celexa, increased my klonopin, and even added Seroquel at night just so I could at least sleep though this pain.  Its no joke.

If I take the pain meds, I know its only adding to the constipation.

Any help out there?  

Basically my doctor's office has confirmed that everything is healing nicely - it will get better - they gave me stronger meds (Lortab Elixor to Percocet 7) and said in no uncertain terms, "now just suck it up."

Am I just being a big ole baby?  If so, honesty would be helpful as would words of encouragement.  I don't know of anyone who has ever died or exploded because they couldn't have a BM.  That must count for something.....right???

Help!

-Katie

beemerbeeper
on 4/24/11 4:27 am - AL
Hi Katie,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experience so much pain.  I don't understand why they can't do a better job of controlling pain after surgeries. 

I also didn't know that you had been having chronic poop issues since surgery.  I knew that Jade had had a lot of problems with constipation until she changed her type of Calcium but I didn't know you were having the opposite problem.

I'll swing what I've got that you feel much better soon.

And count my blessings that I've been able to manage my poop since my surgery and don't have either constipaiton or diarrhea.

~Becky

gak
on 4/24/11 6:27 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Oh Katie,
I feel for you ! It is just like splintered glass being expelled is the only way I can explain it. Not even sure that description gives it justice ! I had horrible rrhoids pre- DS by a few years. I am so thankful it was b4 the DS ! All I can say is keep it up, they will heal and that splintered glass will get better. I can't remember if it was a week, maybe 2 I started to feel less pain. BUT that time will come ! In time you will be glad you did it. The pain factor will fade in time as well and eventually you do not remember it so vividly ! 

Hang in there.. think end result ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

P. Poster
on 4/24/11 10:57 pm
 OK, time for some different guns in your arsenal.  Ask them for a lidocaine cream, and see if you can use witch hazel (Tucks or other brand pads).  Topical stuff can help, and WON'T cause constipation.  I'm sorry you are in so much pain, you DON'T have to be.  You are doing sitz baths regularly, yes?
Jennifer D.
on 4/24/11 11:07 pm
Sorry to hear about how much pain you are in. I haven't been in that situation but wanted to suggest that you be sure to stay hydrated - especially with the fibre and MoM you need extra water.
I hope you get this under control soon.
Donita35
on 1/10/17 6:47 pm

I am 11 days out post surgery and I feel like I should be on a morphine drip! Had enough pain pills to last 4 days! Had to go in to the doctor and practically beg for more! I am one who never takes ibuprofen unless I'm in serious pain. I think I cried everyday until lately. Please tell me the pain stops soon. I just ran out of pain meds again..

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 374 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 825 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views