Vitamin Slacking & THANK YOU!

biggeekgirl
on 4/27/11 9:51 am

First - THANK YOU for all the good wishes and kicks in the pants regarding my recent 6 year post.  

And thank you for all the compliments on my son - I am biased, but he's the most beatiful toddler in the world.   He is a gift the DS gave me that I never dreamed would be as wonderful as it is. 

Mary & Nicolle -  I thought of Weber Grill a few weeks ago too! 

Do any Chicago area folks get together?   I found my first DS group on  Yahoo and there was a Chicago segment and without them I wouldn't have had the nerve to have the surgery.  And without this board I never would have made it through the first year! 

Now I want to address the Vitamin Slacking.  I needed the kick in the pants!   I have never had a day when I took no vitamins.  But my normal 5 does (3 of Vita4Life and 2 of Calcium) was no longer a given - some days I'd just take two doses of multis or 1 of multis and 1 of calcium. 

ZuZu, I don't have a reason for slacking besides being busy and not having a good set schedule in my life.  I know the importance of vitamins.... I really do!

I will be better.  I also need to spend more time here reminding myself how important vitamins and protein are.

Now can you kick my butt over all the junk food I am eating???  I can't get over the carb monster and I really want to lose 20lbs.  I could do it so easily if I stopped eating cookies, candies and icecream - not to mention bread, chips and crackers.  *sigh* 

Some questions:

SleepyJules - my brother works for a group of hospitals based out of Peoria but that are located between Yorkville and Peoria...   St. something...ha ha.. you'd think I'd know since he's been there almost a year.  THey didn't have cardiologists prior to this last year and they hired two - himself and a lady (who is maternity leave now). 

Prettypixels, I had plastics (upper and lower body) PRIOR to having Cooper.  I knew I'd stretch out my stomach a bit with pregnancy, but I also knew after pregnancy I'd be too busy to be laid up with a lower body lift and a little "pooch" wasn't a big deal to me.  Prior to plastics I had rolls of skin! 

I promise to be better about vitamins and schedule blood work too. 

And since I'm a proud mom here are more pics of Cooper

Cindy

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/27/11 10:05 am
 No, it's not just bias, or "mom colored glasses", Cooper really does look like a little angel.

Only thing I was gonna mention that might help, is using a timer for the vites. I have extra doses of calcium and potassium due to kidney stones, and some things aren't compatible, so end up taking things about 6 -8 times a day.

Since my cell phone is always nearby, and most have some sort of alarm feature, I set it to go off ever hour or two, with something like a birdsong or cricket chirping. It's benign enough I can ignore it and let in time out (in about a minute) without having to dig it out of my purse but am reminded to take whatever. I can't deal with the beepy kind of alarms though. 

biggeekgirl
on 4/27/11 10:10 am
Good idea!  Years ago I put them on my calendar at work (Outlook) and they are still there... but so "stale" I just ignore them since I have seen them every day for 6 years.  Maybe I need to set the alarm on my cell phone instead.

Also - I bought a nifty vitamin sorta.  It only has room for 4 doses a day (and I take 5) but I can leave out my night time dose and sort the others for easy tracking and swallowing.

Thanks!

(And thanks about Cooper - when I was pregnant I just hoped for healthy.  I got healthy and adorable.  If I hadn't carried him for 9 months I'd think he was someone elses' - ha ha)

Cindy

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

* Gail R *
on 4/27/11 11:30 am - SF Bay Area, CA
One way to kick the junk food habit is to remember that you are setting the example for your precious son. Do not have the junk in your house-ever-for any reason. We all fall prey to the carb demon, but at least make them carbs that you would want your child to eat. Use that as your compass. Good Luck! I wish I could have had the DS before my children were born.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

scoob
on 4/27/11 1:20 pm - Somerset, KY
Your son is ADORABLE!!

I have a four slot pill case for my main meds. Then I have 7-2 compartment pill cases for Iron and vite C in one slot, my daily 8 calcium in the other. I take the iron and vite c seperate from all other meds. Then I can put my mid day meds in it's spot if I'm  on the go. The little booger is easy to stick in my pocket to access easily. I do have a timer, loud one, that goes off when I need to take my meds. I make up all my meds every Thursday night, religously!! Get in a groove and it will be like second nature. I have taken meds for YEARS for bipolar and I couldn't even take birth control pill because I always forgot. When my life depended on it I MADE it work. You'll get it together!!

As for the carbs, hell, we all have our bad days. BUT I agree, if you don't buy them you can't eat them. Neither can anyone else. I feel like I'm setting a good example for my kids now and am trying to prevent them from ever needing surgery. BUT if they do I will support them in their decision. Rant over! Good luck honey!

I am in awe of you!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

zuzupetals2u2
on 4/27/11 2:06 pm - Sedona, AZ
what a precious little boy! If that isn't motivation to live a long time I don't know what it.

no I really didn't mean to NAG you about vitamins- I am possibly the worst slacker on here for that - tho I am making progress- guess I was almost wishing you'd have responded to methat  they weren't really that important anyway, I know better but at 4 months out I am taking them haphazardly. To my credit tho I will admit I have brought the subject up here repeatedly and gotten a lot of help & suggestions and confirmation of how needed they are.

I also got one of those 4 daily compartment things holding a week worth of them (thanks Lynda- I ordered it after your post) and I have replaced all the horse pills with either chewables, liquids, powders, or candies and finally have something I think I can take and work with daily. I worry everyday about how in the h*** I am going to take them all and live, feeing almost destined to die form malnutrition. So I know all too well how easy it is to let it slide for a day, week, etc. I am not as organized or discplined as I thought. But progress is being made  if I can do it, anyone can! I had to set cell phone alarms to take them and also made my boyfriend promise to remind me several times during the day. I think I Might live after all!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

zuzupetals2u2
on 4/27/11 2:12 pm - Sedona, AZ
as far as the junk food goes, I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror eye to eye and remind yourself that you had a major surgery to lose this weight and be healthy and how junk food is defeating the purpose of it all and possibly also bringing the problem into your sons life. Now is the time to teach him to grab a piece of fruit or protein or something healthy when he is hungry. Not that it's all a learned thing but it gives him a better chance in life to avoid what you have been thru !

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Nicolle
on 4/28/11 2:19 am
Cindy, man that's one beautiful kid!

The Chicago people tend to meet up at Dr. Rabkin's support group meeting, even if they did not have him, the third Monday of every month. A handful of us then go out to dinner afterwards. PM me and I will give you some info.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

sia
on 4/28/11 2:26 am - NY
 What a farking gorgeous little boy. You really should think about taking him to the Ford agency. That said, I so hear you whereas slacking is concerned. Seriously. Day-by-Day! Be well!!!
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
vitalady
on 4/28/11 10:54 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I will be in Chicago in July, if you need an IRL butt kicking. I can gather love-kicks as I go and deliver en masse, if you'd like

I'm San Jose now, so anyone who wants to send BK's to her, pack 'em up and I'll pick up as I go east

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 383 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 840 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views