Got a date..May 18th now I have a feeling I'm not ready... Help me please!

galla1
on 5/2/11 2:11 am
I feel all this research I have done has been lost somewhere.. I now feel like I'm not ready.. I'm scared to death to have surgery as it is...Can anyone just give me some advice or something..I'm not even sure I know what to do... Any words of advice that I should do in the next 2 weeks to prepare myself.... Thanks so much in advance... I'm a basket case!!!
fedupat44
on 5/2/11 2:22 am - Wynne, AR
BREATHE!!!!  This is what is known as the 2 week freak out and just about everyone goes through it!!!  And of course it's scary!!!!  But doable and there are so many here that are living proof that it's worth it!!!!  How well are you "living" right now??  I'm 2 years out and am so grateful to not be the girl I was the day of surgery!!!!!  I was 322 lbs of miserable!!!!  It's gonna be okay!!!!

Sarah_Anne
on 5/2/11 2:27 am
You are never "ready" for something like this.  You just have to take it as it comes.  One day at a time.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Hitorikiri
on 5/2/11 2:39 am - Willow Grove, PA
I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I can definitely relate. I've been freaking myself out for over a week now.

Finding ways to distract myself, to keep myself from obsessing over things, does help to some degree. If you're worried about being ready, maybe making a list will help, so you can review it and make sure you have everything you need, including printouts or saved documents of important information.

And good luck! Hopefully we'll both get through this with our sanity intact!
Check out my blog: My Switch Story  ✽✽✽ Also, visit DS Facts for real information about the DS.

scoob
on 5/2/11 3:53 am - Somerset, KY
2 week freak, my dear! HUGS! I started writing things down. My fears, what I was excited about, goals for after surgery. List of things I wanted to take with me, I traveled. Things I would need when I got home, like bottle water, crystal light, all the fixens for ricotta fluff, chewable centrum, made sure all my perscription meds were filled and ready. Cleaned the house. Bought easy to make meals for my family while I was out of commission. Took before pics. Measured all my main body parts and put it on a page of that notebook. I made up a "graph" like page that goes till I'm 14 months post op. It's really neat. Went through all my clothes and organized by size and marked boxes. Just keep yourself busy getting ready. Check out the before and afters here on OH. That made me keep my eye on the prize. This has, by far, been the BEST thing I have EVER done for ME! We're here for you, hang in there, you can do this!! HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

* Nicole *
on 5/2/11 4:17 am
Keeping yourself busy (which I know you can) and don't think about it, is the best way to prepare. I too didn't want to ever have any surgeries (Ive now had 3), but reason with yourself..... Its either be cut or die a slow death. Gimme the knife.

You will be fine.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

marvmissy
on 5/2/11 4:59 am - MO
I was so excited to get approved for my surgery but after I had an actual date I started freaking too, wondering if I was making a mistake.  It really helped me to go back and read the research about the DS again just to reaffirm in my head that I was doing what was best for me and my health.  It just calmed me and I was able to go ahead and be excited again.  I'm now 10 months out and in love with my DS.  I'm very happy I was able to get through the panic period and have my surgery.  I know you can make it through this just try and focus on the good aspects of the surgery and how it will change your health for the better.

Victorious_one
on 5/2/11 8:14 am - South Central, PA
 I kept telling myself that I could cancel anytime I was ready--even the day of surgery, up until the minute they rolled me in and I was still conscious.  That helped me to feel in control.

After that, I took a lot of advice here--got myself ready for life in recovery after the DS.  We already had a recliner, which was priority #2.  My hubby was on board to care for our daughter, priority #1.  I secured all the vitamins I'd need, and different protein shake flavors (since I knew my taste buds would change).  I cleaned the house top to bottom, and make sure I had plenty of clean, comfortable clothes to lounge in when I came home.  I solicited a list of things I'd need for the hospital.  All that helped me to feel even more in control.

Your freaking out is very normal.  Try to remember why you're doing this--to make a better life and future for yourself.

Change is always scary, and this is a BIG change!  You're gonna love your DS.

We're here for you!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
airbender
on 5/2/11 8:23 am
it is ok, what you are feeling is completly normal.  if you were not scared there would be something wrong with you.  Get this book:

Prepare for surgery heal faster by Peggy Huddelston-it is fantastic

congrats on your date
funny_face
on 5/2/11 9:05 am
I know exactly how you feel. Just "breath" like you have already been told. I was in the same shape as you. It took me 2 tries to get my surgery and I can tell you it is the best thing I've ever done for myself. You will be scared but you will get through it. It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Just keep thinking how much better you will feel.((((HUGS)))).....to you!!!

Betty
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 867 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1111 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 378 views