strange taste

dtabor5
on 5/4/11 2:07 am
I am going to get my labs drawn in the next week or so, but I trust the vets, so here is the question... for the last week or so, i am getting this strong metallic taste in my mouth... after wards it is like i cannot get enough to drink and OH LORD, you do not drink water when it is going on it gets that much worse.... any ideas? I know that it is a broad area but I am curious, am i low on a mineral or vitamin? I am not craving any one thing.. hubby thinks that if i was then i would low in that one thing ex. salty or sweet...

Like I said I am going to get labs and then i will know for sure but wondering what my body is telling me so when it happens next time and i am not getting them done i will be able to know and fix it..

Thanks,
Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 7:43 am
These are both signs seen in hypercalcemia (high calcium levels).  That would be the most important thing to check up-front.  I can't see you being toxic on you vitamin D levels, but too much vitamin D can cause this.  Bloodwork is the only way to know for sure.  I'm sure they'll check Vitamin D, calcium, PTH, magnesium, and phosphorus.  That's the first thing that comes to my mind.  Here's an excerpt for you:

Early symptoms of hypercalcemia may include nausea, vomiting, and anorexia (appetite/weight loss), followed by polyuria (excess urination), polydipsia (excess thirst), weakness, fatigue, somnolence, headache, dry mouth, metallic taste, vertigo, tinnitus (ear ringing), and ataxia (unsteadiness). Kidney function may become impaired, and metastatic calcifications (calcium deposition in organs throughout the body) may occur, particularly affecting the kidneys. Treatment involves stopping the intake of vitamin D or calcium, and lowering the calcium levels under strict medical supervision, with frequent monitoring of calcium levels. Acidification of urine and corticosteroids may be necessary.

Obviously, multiple things can cause your symptoms.  This would be an important one to rule out sooner rather than later.  I'd recommend bumping up your appointment with your doctor or at least seeing if they can order your bloodwork early before the appointment so you don't delay diagnosis/treatment.

Diane Davis
on 5/4/11 4:31 pm
Steve, you are such an awesome caring person to all of us......Thank you very much!

Love the new avi, too!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 726 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1028 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 345 views