"Unflavored" Whey protein

Justin K.
on 5/28/11 12:56 pm - Grand Island, NE
At this point I've tried Chocolate and vanilla whey, both seem very artificial in their flavoring, and quite overpowering.  I've found that if I mix milk, orange juice, and bananna with the vanilla protein, blend it up I can mask the vanilla flavoring.

My question is, what does unflavored whey isolate taste like?  Is it nasty?  Could I mix it with some milk and a little OJ to make a shake? Or rather, one that doesn't taste terrible?

Thanks for your input!  If folks here give the thumbs up I'll order some from Vitalady :)

Justin
Elizabeth N.
on 5/28/11 1:18 pm - Burlington County, NJ
The closest thing to a truly tasteless protein powder I found was Procel .

Mostly the ones that say "unflavored" are just that. NOT tasteless. They taste like protein powder, which is to say they taste like butt. If you're lucky (and you're using a mostly whey concentrate, which is not the best quality), they taste strongly of dried milk.

Blank Out
on 5/28/11 11:33 pm
 I like the Jarrow unflavored whey protein.  It is the closest I have found to tasteless...

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 4:17 am
 I mix one scoop of vanilla with one scoop of unflavored protein powder and it's not too objectionable.  I like the Nectar fruit flavors, but they are also very strong to me. You could also try using more water or liquid.  Also, you might try ordering a bunch of samples from VItalady. You might find something you actually like.
gak
on 5/29/11 1:24 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I have not found an unflavored I like.

My favs are IDS Vanilla Cinnamon
http://www.buildingbrawn.com/index.php?SubvendorID=410&Produ ctID=2090014
also the occassional
IDS Banana or
IDS Belgian Chocolate

I keep a variety around.

and Orange Mango Protein Blitz.
http://www.proteinblitz.com/

It really is trial and error in finding one you like.

Good luck ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 11:06 pm - Woodbridge, VA
If you've only tried a chocolate and a vanilla, I think you should try WAY more different varieties. I would also personally ditch the OJ (lots of sugar, even if only half a serving). Ditto to the banana. If you want to add some fruit, I'd suggest frozen strawberries and/or blueberries. 

I never found a plain chocolate or vanilla flavor I liked, but I LOVE this chocolate mint one I have (I believe the brand is Dymatize), and I have sampled Syntrax Strawberry Truffle and liked that as well. If you want chocolate or vanilla, remember that even different BRANDS can taste different - they have different textures, use different sweeteners, etc. I liked Jay Robb brand vanilla when I was early out.

I don't order proteins from Vitalady (I ordered a bunch of Syntrax samples from her, but I didn't like any of them - not her fault, just not my preference). I order from either netrition.com or vitacost.com since both have flat-rate shipping no matter how much you order, and they have a lot to choose from.

I did have a bucket of ISO natural (unflavored) protein that I used, and I just switched to Isopure natural unflavored protein. I use them in hot chai tea lattes or with sugar free flavored syrups (Torani or DaVinci). I've also bought some powdered peanut butter to try in a shake as well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views