Diving - Y or N after surgery?

s00zy66
on 5/30/11 12:01 pm - TX
My husband is a Master Diver and has always wanted me to dive with him but I've always been too heavy to even try.  Now that I'm getting ready to have DS surgery, we started talking about it again.  Does anyone know if I'll ever be able to try this sport after surgery? 
    HW / SW / CW / GW          348 / 327 / 175/ 140          Jan11 / Jun11 / Sep12 /

pycca
on 5/30/11 12:35 pm - Haslet, TX
After you have healed, I would give it a year myself,,, , just in case something is slower or if you have some issues,,,,, LOL

Don't see why not !!  Being as I am a water baby,,, I am looking to learn to dive,,, and Iam inmy 50's !!!!

I say go for it when you are able !!!

gak
on 5/30/11 4:24 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I am a fish by second nature, probably should of been one to start with. There is really no reason NOT to dive once your totally healed post-op and have your docs okay. He/she might  have a suggested date frame they would prefer you stick to for diving. I know I was allowed to snorkel at 2 months out. Of course, it was a lot easier at 6 months out ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

KimberlyHeidi
on 5/31/11 12:47 pm - VA
 I say go for it when you are healed and well rested and get the ok from the Dr. 
goodkel
on 5/31/11 3:43 pm
Once you are fully healed, unless you have other non-DS-related medical reasons, there is no reason why you can' dive.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Renfairewench
on 6/4/11 9:54 am
I dove when I was 410 pounds and got my PADI certification at around the same weight. I just needed a lot of lead around waist to get down.

Of course today diving is much easier and I only need about 7 pounds of lead to decend, less when I dive in fresh water.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 782 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1065 views
Need help for my mom