Effexor and DS

KarenFlorida
on 6/4/11 11:28 am - Orlando, FL
Hi again!

I take Effexor XR 75mg once a day, for mild anxiety issues.  I'm having DS next week and I'm trying to anticipate whether there will be any changes needed (different dose or different medication) after surgery, because of absorption.  The generic Effexor I am currently taking is a capsule, but the pharmacy has randomly given me tablets before, so I know those are available too.

I have previously used Zoloft, but switched to Effexor a couple of years ago after discussing with my PCP that I gained a lot of weight after starting the Zoloft.  The Zoloft worked great, and so does the Effexor, for my anxiety.

I have also previously tried Wellbutrin (prior to Effexor) and it actually made me feel MORE anxious!

The medicine-induced weight loss/gain is not concerning to me at the moment, but I do want to try to have good control of my anxiety postop.  Having major surgery is anxiety-producing enough!

Karen
Elizabeth N.
on 6/4/11 11:35 am - Burlington County, NJ
Wellbutrin is an activating type of antidepressant, good for people who get the "slows" when they get depressed.

I use Effexor, Wellbutrin and trazodone (brand name would be Desyrel) for my antidepressant ****tail, and Klonopin for anxiety and RLS.

KarenFlorida
on 6/4/11 11:42 am - Orlando, FL
Do you think my dose of Effexor would change postop?

Karen
ezziesmomma
on 6/4/11 12:40 pm - Fort Bragg, CA
  I take effexor  and have had no problems at all.

Elizabeth N.
on 6/5/11 1:00 am - Burlington County, NJ

There's no way to know until you're there. I highly recommend finding a good psychiatrist who's willing to work with you on these issues.

KarenFlorida
on 6/4/11 1:14 pm - Orlando, FL
Thanks for both replies! Any ideas for taking these capsules for that first couple of weeks immediately postop? Open it up? Dissolve in liquid?
Karen
Elizabeth N.
on 6/5/11 1:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
I took pills just fine starting in the hospital as soon as I was cleared for oral intake.

zuzupetals2u2
on 6/4/11 3:49 pm - Sedona, AZ
the XR is time released so you do need to change to the Effexor that is not. I havent had to change my dose in 5 months but since I am on a high dose (300mg) and always have a bad day if I miss one my Dr increased my dose for 3 days prior to surgery since my surgeon said I couldnt take anything the first 2 days after surgery. Without carbs after the surgery my prescribing doctor was concerned maybe the brain chemistry changes from noth having carbs could make me more depressed but I have been ok with that too. I do think my depression is lifting a little with the weight loss as I felt it would as I did feel it was situational both with weight and living with my X husband who I have since moved away from too. Good luck!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/11 5:42 pm
Time released anything won't work well after surgery. Just go back to the regular and you should be fine. You may have to adjust the dosage during the weightloss, but it's doable.

I'm on Zoloft, Abilify and Deplin with a Xanax chaser. Works good for me.

Dana
Elizabeth N.
on 6/5/11 1:00 am - Burlington County, NJ
I use time released meds and they work just fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 993 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1177 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 461 views