I've finally stopped losing!

Piliper
on 6/8/11 10:08 pm
 I freaked out a bit about a month ago, but have finally leveled out. At 6'0 and 156, I'm still too thin, but at least I'm not losing anymore.

What's weird is that it makes me anxious. To me, I feel that if I've stopped losing then the only thing I can do is gain. I've had very strange thoughts over the past few days about gaining my weight back and then have to stop halfway through and realize that I'm being irrational. 

I did have to painfully work carbs in my diet to slow my loss and I wonder if I remove those if I'll go back to losing again. Oh well, I have NOTHING to complain about. Just curious if anyone went through these emotions once your progress slowed.

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

Julie R.
on 6/8/11 10:30 pm - Ludington, MI
Oh yes - been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, as they say.    I was terrified of gaining weight.    You probably will gain a bit back - in another year or so - and that will be a good thing.    I was too thin for a while, and looked like a scrawny old lady.    I put on a much-needed eight or so pounds and now I just look like an old lady, LOL.    At first, I thought I was just going to keep gaining and gaining and it blew my mind, because one day, I was 116 and a week later I was 126.   Well, three years later, I'm in the 122-127 range and stay there.  

Also, if you want to add carbs in that will help you gain weight - don't add carbs like sugar or weight.   They just make you poop more, which can contribute to the weight loss.   Add carbs like potatoes, corn or rice.   Seriously though, at this point, your body is going to do what it wants to do.     If people express dismay at your thinness, tell them it's very common with this surgery to get too thin for a while, that you'll have a rebound, and settle in nicely.     As long as you're not having any serious deficiencies, you'll be fine.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

scoob
on 6/9/11 12:38 am - Somerset, KY
So glad to hear this! I know what you mean about anxious! I have this fear that I'm never going to make it to goal and gain everything I've lost! I think this is normal for the most part. Keep us updated!! HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Udamnskippy
on 6/9/11 2:14 am - Port Orchard, WA
Im glad you are leveling out ,wow 156 is abit low for your height.Ive been steady 168-173 for about 10 mo. so far and with that I still look rather thin.I do worry about how much I eat at times but havent budged the scale yet. Ive learned that eating carbs with wheat and flour is better tolerated with lots of fats or oil, like dips or really dresed up sandwiches.Good luck to ya and good health.. Steve
looking4loss
on 6/9/11 2:59 am - Overton, NE
Thanks for this post.  I too stopped losing in early April, and for the past month or so, I've been freaking out about worrying about gaining.  I haven't gained anything, of course, and have just stayed in the 150 pound range, but it scares the hell out of me.  I think we are still in the mindset of yo-yo dieting.  I am so glad to hear from the older vets who have not seen the regain.  I don't ever want to be there again. 
Lisey
on 6/9/11 7:13 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Like everyone else said, it's a near certainty (though not EVERYONE dose) gain a few pounds back, if not more - only if you eat a lot of crap, generally, though. 

I hope you don't feel too skinny to the point you are self-conscious.  Some people really are just that skinny too, who never had WLS.  My boyfriend got into long-distancing running for awhile & dropped quite a bit of weight for his frame.  At one point he was 159 and he's 6'4".  Now he's back up to 175.  You're likely just not used to being so thin!  I also think that our fat tends to get redistributed towards the end of the second year/ beggining of third.  My arms, collarbones, & face used to be a lot scrawnier than now, yet I'm only a few pounds heavier.  Maybe it is just the 4 - 5 pounds, but I don't think so.  Lots of people think the same thing about wt redistribution around 24 months out.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Blank Out
on 6/9/11 7:55 am
 Has anyone read the book "Thinner" by Stephen King?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views