First post-op labs - 6 mos. Need a little help...lol

DarcyMad
on 6/9/11 1:54 am - Cedar Park, TX
Ok, first of all, my labs were overall really good!  Nothing is too tanked although my iron is a little low, E and A are a little low as well.  Those I had a feeling would be lower so I've already added a little more to my vitamin regimen.

Here are the few I was surprised about and a few I didn't understand:

HDL Cholesterol - 34.  Norm greater than 39.  I know....eat more fat!!!

Calculated % iron sat - 18.  Norm 20-50.  I am now going to add iron.  I hear you talking about the idfferent types - which is best again?  All other iron numbers fell within the norm.

Hemoglobin A1C - 5.8  Norm is 4.0-5.6.  Still high...not good!  My blood glucose levels are good...not sure what's happening there.

Intact PTH - 84.  Norm 7-80.  I can't remember what this one is??

B12 and Zinc are at the low end of normal - I have added more of this into my vites.

Vit A is low normal and I'm adding more in.  Both E's (alpha and gamma) are low normal and I've added more already to my regimen.  Its dry.

That's it.  Those are my problem children!  Any input would be welcome!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

beemerbeeper
on 6/9/11 2:02 am - AL
You have to post all of your labs for people to be able to comment.  Too many labs go hand in hand with other labs.  People have to be able to see the whole picture.

Also if you can post previous labs then people can see the trends.  For example my protein numbers all looked great to me on my last labs but someone noticed that they had actually decreased since my previous labs.  And guess what?  I had stopped my protein supplementation becasue I was getting so much by food.  I never would have seen that trend myself.  No telling what would have happened in another 6 months!!  I shudder to think.

Also post exactly what you've been supplementing with when you post your labs and that will help people advise you as well.

~Becky

Kayla B.
on 6/9/11 6:18 am - Austin, TX

I second what was already posted about telling us all your results. And we want to know protein/albumin/prealbumin

Based on what you have posted:
HDL...healthy fats and exercise make it go up. 

Hgb A1c: Were you dehydrated at the lab draw?  A lot of lab tests are measured as a concentration per unit of blood, so if you are dehydrated, there is less fluid in the blood and it can make the numbers appear higher than normal.  If you WERE dehydrated, we need to take this into account when looking at other concentrations, because numbers that are "normal" may actually be low. 

PTH deals with calcium.  High means calcium being stimulated to be taken from bones...probably due to insufficient calcium intake, absorption, insufficient vit d to help with the absorption, hormone issues, etc.  Deals with Calcium homeostasis, basically.  So we need to know vit D and calcium to evaluate.

Iron/anemia are really complex, so we'll want to know your CBC values to evaluate your iron.  And see that "calculated" in front of iron sat?  It means it used other values from your lab report to come up with that %, so we want to know everything to get a good picture.  Then we want to know your CBC values to see what your iron is doing to your cells.  MCV, MCH, RDW -- they tell us size of your cells and stuff.  Heme iron (proferrin) rocks my socks off, but expensive.  Tender iron (the capsules) I believe, are the best bargain.  Starting dose is generally 5 capsules, which is 300mg elemental and vit C is already build right in.

B-12 I would really prefer to not be anywhere NEAR low.  It's been noted that signs of deficiency can be seen as low as 400, and that's still technically normal on the scale.  Methylcobalamin is a good form. 

That's all I have for you for now knowing so little.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views