2.5y after DS -- everything gives me diarrhea.

geberika
on 6/19/11 8:29 am
Maybe getting pregnant (and now, nursing) has messed with me at all, but I just can't tolerate much without spending tons of time in the bathroom.

Too much fat gives me diarrhea, in particular oil, butter, pasteurized milk (I can tolerate a little raw); also tomatoes and most acidic fruits and vegs. I'm really bloated, gassy and having stomach pain. I take Align every night.

As far as vites I take 200K of Vitalady A , and D, along with 800IU of dry E, 3000mg/day of Calcium, 2000IU K1, two multis, two zincs, two coppers, and B12. Along with Bifera for iron.

Any suggestions? It's really bothering me and interfering with my daily life :( Also, having problems getting back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, I'm still up about 20lbs. As I said, I'm nursing so I can't take Flagyl right now.

Erika - DS in 2008 - SW 162, LW 131 (2009), CW 160

Julie R.
on 6/19/11 8:34 am - Ludington, MI
 Congratulations on the new baby!
What kind of carbs are you eating?   Anything wheat gives me bloating gas - whole wheat, rye, barley, anything with gluten) as well as flax, etc.     Corn, potatoes, and rice do not cause problems.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

geberika
on 6/19/11 8:47 am
Thank you Julie! She is a doll, she was born at home on the toilet -- my favorite place! -- on Christmas day.

Unfortunately I am eating sugary carbs, but I've been journaling about how miserable I'm feeling (physical) lately and I think it's time to cut them completely.

Julie R.
on 6/19/11 9:43 am - Ludington, MI
 Awww - a Christmas baby.   I'd hoped to have one, but he was born the day after - the WORST day of the year to have a birthday, LOL.   I named him Christopher, nevertheless.

Ahhhh......well, no wonder you're pooping all the time!   Sugary carbs still do that to me - at five years post-op.    As a matter of fact, I had a day much like that yesterday, as we had several social events to go to and I overindulged at all of them.   I probably pooped ten times between yesterday afternoon and this morning.   The worst for me is a combination of high flour/high sugar.   Stuff like chocolate chip cookies, or cake.   I get this horrible butt-burning gas.    Donuts aren't quite as bad, if I get a plain, high quality, bakery fried donut.  I indulge in one about once a week.    Stuff like jelly beans and gum drops in large quantities will send me to the toilet within thirty minutes with liquid diarrhea.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 6/19/11 11:19 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, you ask what the problem is when you KNOW you're eating the stuff that gives the majority of us trouble?

The choices are all yours. This is a long term recurring theme with you. You've made this post a number of times over the years, and you're still looking for some other reason for your crappy gut and the stink. ANYTHING but give up the sugar? Well, okay, but don't expect different answers to the same questions. Knock off the carby stuff.

So when's the last time you got labs done?

geberika
on 6/19/11 12:31 pm
Yes, thank you! I appreciate the tough love and the words. I've battled the sugar **** for years, before and after my surgery, and I'm like an addict looking for a way to keep getting my fix.

I got my labs done four months ago, I'm getting my h/h done on Wednesday.

Lisey
on 6/20/11 3:01 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Couple suggestions on the sugar factor, b/c I feel the same way.  I've just learned to substitute in ways that don't upset my stomach/ GI tract, etc.  Plain old chocolate, up to the equivalent of 1 candy bar, does not upset my stomach.  BUT!  If I have a chocolate candy that IS made with any kind of flour in it beyond bare trace amounts, I will still get stomach upset.  I'm talking about plain old chocolate or say Bliss meltaways or Reese's cups - things without flour.

I also love watermelon & cut up a large melon at least once every couple of weeks.  This is what I tend to munch on the most.  Even though I absorb all the calories, there's just not a lot of calories in watermelon & it's quite filling so I can eat 1 - 1.5 cups without fear of gaining weight & without upsetting my stomach.  Ditto for some other fruit like fresh mango or canned peaches - those are my favorites, but you need to find yours. 

Sometimes, I will also get no sugar added apple pie filling (sweetened with splenda) and eat it!  I also have recently started eating Kayla's chocolate protein/ low carb cake.

Note, of course, if you want to lose 20 pounds, you'll need to cut out a lot of the sugar, in general, including what I'm talking about.  I've cut back slightly & have been losing about 0.5 pound/wk when I found my weight creeping up (for me approaching 25 BMI).  I haven't given it up entirely, but do eat less of these things than when I found my weight creeping up.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

scubadiva
on 6/19/11 9:19 am
Chia seeds?  You're taking calcium TABLETS right?  Those constipate me horribly.  I can't take them at all.  I don't know.  We are so opposite my DS twin sister!  Same date, some doc, same surgery... different guts.  :)    Oh... I just thought of something!  Ultimate Flora super critical makes a probiotic with 200 billion.  It is to be used for a week for travelers mostly.  Maybe that????  I think they even make one with 400 billion.   You need some mega probiotics maybe.  The big guns... many of them a day.  It will be costly though.
J G.
on 6/19/11 4:07 pm
Erika, I second the Ultimate Flora super critical.  Walk the straight and narrow for a week and eat right, if you still have the big D you might want to get tested for C-diff....
Emily F.
on 6/20/11 3:49 am
You sound like you know what you need to cut. Also, maybe a probiotic earlier in the day?? I take one with lunch and dinner.

but I'd cut those things and if it doesn't work, get tested for c diff.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 381 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 833 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views