What about hiatal hernia, GERD, and bowel obstructions?

Imissthe80s
on 6/24/11 5:48 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Have any of you suffered any of these post-op due to surgery? Are they easily fixable?

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/11 6:06 am - Lancaster, OH
Many complain that the search function on this site isn't too "friendly", but here is a link to a thread that describes how to find older information from this forum.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4114788/Searching-the-F orum/

Obviously, the forum is here (in part) so that people can ask others for information.  But the same questions have been asked so many times, that you might find helpful information if you searched around a bit on your own.  You might also run into some information that you haven't even thought to ask about yet.

Happy hunting (and reading).
Imissthe80s
on 6/24/11 6:46 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Thanks very much, Caprice!

P. Poster
on 6/24/11 7:29 am
 Yes, yes & yes.  I've had all 3.  Sucks, but I would still take those issues for the benefits (and life) that I've gained from having the DS.
Imissthe80s
on 6/24/11 7:35 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I'm on a current "Besides Death, What Can Go Wrong Kick?" I'm out to discover every nook and cranny of the DS, because it's the best surgery for me metabolically, in the next 6-7 months, if it kills me (pre-op of course) of a heart attack! Yeah, I don't want a hernia, or a bowel obstruction or to live with GERD, but you do what you must do when your MO.

walter A.
on 6/24/11 10:11 am - lafayette, NJ
it wont cause a hiatal hernia, if you have one, they might repair it while in there,  reflux is a strong possibility, although i did not have any post op.  and bowel obstruction non of that either,  i take miralax daily to maintain a high fiber content for hemorrhoids, so that wont happen.
zuzupetals2u2
on 6/24/11 3:07 pm - Sedona, AZ
I haven't had any of those but reading here about those that have make us more knowledgeable in case we ever have any of the symptoms as then we will know how to proceed. It seems many of us have very smooth experiences. I was a revision from stomach stapling and I never expected it to be so trouble free. I wouldn't waste your time worrying about things that may never happen tho. We could dtive ourselves crazy in life doing that when you consider all the things that could go wrong. That is no way to live!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 12:56 am

Never had bowel obstruction post or pre op. I do have a sliding hiatal hernia and GERD, had it pre op too. I still take 80 mg of Prilosec a day. Docs told me due to my weight it would be a moot point to fix the hernia until I lost the weight. Since my GERD is pretty much under control with the prilosec, I've not discussed having the surgery to correct my hernia. It still effects my vocal chords so I have a feeling that will probably be my next surgery.

Ann M.
on 6/25/11 1:02 am - GA
Keep in mind I am a revision and had both a hiatal hernia and GERD from the band PRE-OP. The hiatal hernia was fixed during surgery and I have not had any GERD yet (I am only 5 days post-op).

A hernia post-op can help get insurance approval for a tummy tuck so it may not be bad in all cases. HTH

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views