It's official, pre-op diet started and reality setting in...

no_more_rolls
on 6/24/11 6:07 am - Jackson, MI
I've known my surgery date for a while now, but so many things have happened along the way in the process I did not want to make an announcement until I was 100% sure nothing was going to change.  I think since I started my pre-op diet yesterday, it's okay to safe I'm safe!  ( I hope!)  

My DS is scheduled for July 8th with Dr, Kemmeter.  I am so excited, even though I am having a tough time with the mostly liquid pre-op diet that I will be on for the next 2 weeks.  

OMG I think the real reality set in as I drove past various restaurants and fast food places yesterday on my way to the doctors.  I mentally said my good-byes to all the things I know I will be giving up in exchange for a healthier life.  I've been preparing myself for this for over 2 years, why does it feel like such a big deal now?  I haven't had fast food in months!

Oddly enough, today at home I am fine.  I think I was bothered more yesterday by my reaction due to the thoughts of not having those things anymore.  Why should I have cared?  Do I have unresolved issues with food I didn't realize?  I've been food journaling for months.  Hopefully I am just reading into things and this is just normal pre-surgery anxiety.

Wish me luck!  ...or any words of wisdom?

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Julie R.
on 6/24/11 6:16 am - Ludington, MI
 Yay Roxy!  I can't believe how quickly you got the ball rolling with Dr. Kemmeter!
I'm gonna tell you  - the pre-op diet, for me, sucked.   I'd always considered myself a good dieter, and I was starving to death and an evil ***** for the entire two weeks.   I did lose ten pounds, and I'm sure I shrunk my liver quite nicely, but I was NOT a pleasant person to be around!

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

no_more_rolls
on 6/24/11 7:52 am - Jackson, MI
LOL Thanks Ladies!   Now I know I am NOT alone!    I went wayyyy over the amount of fluid I was suppose to drink yesterday (and close today) just to fill me up  

I couldn't help myself, but I became a victim of the scale today...and have lost 4 pounds since I started this thing!

...and Julie, yeah Dr. Kemmeter's office got everything moving really quick!  It helped that I had everything done prior from the former surgeon's office before I saw him though.  You were so right about everyone who works in his office....they are great!!!!!

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

shannn
on 6/24/11 7:32 am - Knoxville , TN
Hang in there. The pre surgery diet was the worst part of the whole thing for me - truly. It sucked and I was a royal ass! I will be thinking of you. July 7 will be my 1 year and you have so much to look forward to!
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

no_more_rolls
on 6/24/11 7:54 am - Jackson, MI
 Congrats on the one year!  That seems such a long time away from now, but I can't wait to think back on all this (hopefully successfully)  
lesliejayne
on 6/24/11 10:08 am - Noxapater, MS
One of the great things about the DS is that you are NOT giving up any foods forever, just temporarily, during the pre-op diet and during the initial post-op period. Eventually, there is no food that you can never eat again, though you do need to make sure you eat plenty of protein, and carbs will interfere with weight loss (and some foods will cause gas and/or diarrhea, but you will have to learn what goes well for you and what doesn't).
     I think a wls that forbids any food group forever sets people up for the old diet/deprivation mentality, which is not a good or healthy thing. But that isn't the case with the DS.

Larra
no_more_rolls
on 6/24/11 11:30 am - Jackson, MI
Thanks Larra, you're right!  That is part of the reasons why I chose the DS...but I'm still trying to tell myself that I can't have that stuff anymore.  

One of the places I drove past yesterday was Dunkin Donuts...and a chocolate creme powder sugar donut is something I'm pretty sure I will not be able to eat post-op without some nasty negative side effects.  I admit I am a recovering carb addict...so that kind of thing I will miss, although I have already found things I like almost as much.
elixir
on 6/24/11 11:47 am, edited 6/24/11 3:29 pm - MI
I will say this... at least w/the pre-op diet you can have bars, the yummy BBQ snack mix, the cereal and those green boxed meals. Enjoy it while you can. Post surgery you will miss chewing. You will be full liquid and you will start freaking out that you cannot chew anything. I would give my first born for a piece of KFC extra crispy chicken Right now. *snicker*

I really like Dr K. He is such a nice guy and has a way of making you feel comfortable. But I wanted to shove him down the stairs after my surgery. Felt like I wa**** by a truc****pt telling myself this too shall pass. And it did, but I wallowed in misery for a while. I sort of enjoyed the wallowing, then I got over it. 

While I was still in the hospital one of my co-workers and his wife (who had surgery w/Dr. K in August) came to visit. She is down 100+ pounds and looks amazing. I was inspired by her success and by the success of some of those here on OH to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not out of the tunnel yet, but I still see the light. 

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and hope you have an uneventful recovery. I also hope we both get to chew some real food soon. LOL. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

scoob
on 6/24/11 3:56 pm - Somerset, KY
So happy for you! Like others have said, nothing is lost to you forever. You will eat these things again. Just in moderation.  You're going to do great and can't wait to welcome you to the DarkSide! Time will fly by. If you need us, we're here. Good luck to you.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 2:06 am - Beverly, NJ
I started my pre-op diet today and so far it's not too bad.  My pre-op diet is completly liquid and so far the hardest part is smelling whats being cooked.  Other than that I'm ok.  I also have a small prescription for xanex from when I quit smoking that i was told I can continue to take so I'm sure that's helping too.  :)

Good luuck!  My surgery is ust a few days after yours.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 317 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 780 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views