Why did you choose DS?

DivaJojo
on 6/25/11 8:09 am - Atlanta, GA
Had researched and considered for about 6 years, but based upon my research, if the lap band and RNY were th only options, I probably would never have had anything (didn't know of VSG). I had stopped considering anything and was looking up resources for a friend who confided she had decided to have surgery and she was far smaller than me. Loking up info for her, I came across the DS and the light went on. Why?

I was close to 500lbs. There is no other procedure that even affords the possibility of my losing enough, even if I don't get down under 200lbs. I lost 200lbs, but then stopped being at all disciplined. Gained 49 lbs back but have already losy 20 of that getting back on track.

Based upon the mechanics of the procedure, it left my stomach functioning the most like it was originally designed to.
I knew I needed the stronger malabsorption of the DS. But still it does not completely override or "by-pass" your own will or control and that was very important to me. I didn't want a procedure that did all the thinking for me and that was my perception of the RNY. I still am responsible for making good food choices, but have the luxury of being very bad on occasion. Though, there is a price to pay. . . but I have the choice.

That's it in a nutshell for me.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

butercup
on 6/25/11 1:21 pm - Kennewick, WA
I want to lose 100% of my excess weight and keep it off. I also want to eat protein and not have it get stuck. There are many other reasons, those are just the 2 that came to mind.
MsBatt
on 6/25/11 3:27 pm
When I was researching WLS, no one was doing the Sleeve, so I never considered it. I think it's a good option, for people who don't have a lot to lose and don't have an over-efficient metabolism. *I* have---or, rather, HAD---the world's most efficient metabolism. My body  could store 4 calories out of every 5 I ate.

The RNY scared the crap outta me. Still does. And frankly, it's track record isn't do good.

But bottom line---I knew I would always NEED NSAIDs, and---I like to EAT. The DS was the only form of WLS that was compatable with taking NSAIDs, eating well, and achieving and MAINTAINING a significant weight loss.

7.5 years later, I know that I made the right choice for me.
scoob
on 6/25/11 8:22 pm - Somerset, KY
I chose the DS because it seemed like the best overall WLS. I didn't know a lot about it. Then I researched the hell out of it. Also, here,on these boards daily. By the time I was approved and had a date, almost 2 years later, I was sure there was no other option. This surgery is BY FAR the best thing I ever did FOR ME! I did it without approval from anyone. On a daily basis I had to defend my decision with someone. I had WLS friends in real life and here who helped keep my eye on the prize. With no support from family, it was the hardest decision of my life. I always wanted my family's approval. This time was different, I didn't care what anyone thought. I knew what I wanted and needed and that mattered for the first time in my life. The day of surgery I had the support, not only from my WLS family but my family. Fast forward 9 months, everyone loves the fact that I had this surgery. They know I put a lot of time and effort into learning how to take care of me with my WLS choice, the DS. They love that I am so aware of taking care of me, labs, vites, counseling, etc. This surgery has saved my life and I am thankful EVERYday!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Jersey Girl
on 6/25/11 10:20 pm
I had a VBG, vertical banded gastroplasy which is kinda a hybrid of a partial sleeve and a fixed band.  It did not work.  I've learned that with a starting weight of 475lbs I need malabsoption to keep my weight off.  A restrictive procedure just isn't enough for me.

I considered RNY, however as I researched and visited the revision boards I noticed not only were there many bandsters seeking revisions but a high number for RNYers as well.  This alarmed me.  When I learned about the DS, the higher success rates of keeping off the weight, the lack of a pouch, and the value of keeping the pyloric valve I was all in!

Also, as wls has gained popularity I've personally known many RNYers who are struggling with massive regain.  They returned to strict dieting and heavy exercise to try to lose the weight.  I knew that would be me.  If the malabsorption of the RNY starts to reverse, I'd be one to regain.  And while revision are all complicated, RNY revisions are much more complicated than a band revision. 

A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
jen319_rn
on 6/25/11 11:10 pm - La Plata, MD
I could sit here and concur with everyones words and they would all be right. But, for me it was fear. I was obese and could not get through a Walmart without looking for a bench. My knees hurt every moment of the day. I lived within a prison of my body and I was afraid that in the not so distant future I would hit the point of no return and be in a wheelchair in my 40s. I was shaped like a huge apple and was a miserable soul. When I did the surgery I went in knowing that for me I would rather have 20 years of wonderful than 40 in a chair. Now, dont get me wrong I paid a price but would gladly do it again. The price was a lifetime of iron infusions ( dont care) and a gluten intolerance ( I pay ALOT for that one!) So, in the end I worry about putting the pounds on, I still have fat head at times but have discovered a love of Nordstrom Rack and clothes that arent a size 26. I would do it again.

Jennifer

Elizabeth N.
on 6/26/11 4:14 am - Burlington County, NJ

Here's what I tell people about how I chose the DS:

I was originally on track to have RNY back in 2002, but got derailed after preop testing revealed that I had pulmonary hypertension. It's a long story, but it's on my profile if you'd like to read about it.

Even though I was off the track for RNY, I continued to attend the program my then-surgeon required of all his patients. I'd paid for it, so I figured I could benefit from it anyhow :-).

I saw some disturbing trends there. This was a big group, as several surgeons sent patients to it. There was, of course, a cadre of very successful patients (all RNY). They finished their year of program and went on with their lives, and as far as anyone knew/knows, all is well.

There were a surprising number of people, though, who fought and fought and fought to comply with what was expected of them, and the weight didn't come off well. At every meeting, there was word of someone else in the hospital with this or that problem--usually an ulcer or a stricture.

I listened to stories of dumping episodes, of getting food stuck episodes, of the mental/emotional challenges of having to live on highly restricted diets.....and I thought, "There's not a chance in hell I could live with this." (I should add that I have a major vomiting phobia. I'll do just about anything to not vomit. Not a good thing in some cases.)

Well, time passed, I got fatter and sicker, and eventually (again, story in my profile), it came out that the pulmonary hypertension was caused by the fat on my torso squashing my heart and lungs. It went from, "You cannot have any surgery at all," to, "You must have surgery or die."

I came back here to OH, feeling desperate because the lap band wouldn't give me enough weight loss to have any real hope of curing what was ailing me, and the RNY seemed to me like foolish butchery for not enough good results.

Someone told me then about the duodenal switch, invited me over to the DS board, which at the time was pretty much brand new, and the rest was history.

What I like about the DS:

1. 98% cure rate for type II diabetes. This was a major biggie because I had very bad diabetes.
2. Normal stomach anatomy and function is maintained. The stomach is reduced in size, but the normal stomach outlet, the pyloric valve, remains intact and functioning. There is no "stoma" with the DS or the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG).
3. The intestinal changes that are done in the DS "jump start" the body's metabolism. Mine was shot to hell from a lifetime of PCOS, dieting and other factors.
4. I'd already done many years of low fat, low carb, highly restrictive dieting and I knew I sucked at it. The DS gives an eating quality of life that I find easy to live with: eat a primarily animal protein based diet. I'm a happy carnivore :-). I had to learn to restrict my carb intake, but it was a lot easier to do when I could eat meat, cheese, fish, eggs, etc. with abandon, with little regard for fat content. (DS'ers only absorb about 20% of the fat they eat, so for most of us, fat is almost a "free" food.)

I felt so strongly about the superiority of the DS to any other procedure that I traveled and paid out of pocket to have it done, rather than have the RNY done fifteen minutes from home and covered by insurance. It's been four years, and so far, so good :-).

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views