Need Hematologist referral in the Bay Area

buffalobillsfan
on 6/27/11 12:43 pm - CA
Hi Everyone,
I am hitting the wall on exhaustion.  My beautiful ferritin went from 204 to 91 in the past 6 months and my iron is at 37 from 46.  I tried 2x a day Proferrin Forte and I'm now going to request infusions.  I live in San Jose so I'm looking for a good referral within 20 miles or so.  Thanks for any help you can offer! 

Cheers,
Cathy

rose78
on 6/28/11 6:00 am - san jose, CA
HI Cathy,  sorry to hear this .. you need your energy!  Have you asked your PCP?
I  am also getting real tired these days and need to get tested . I  don't  know any hema.  Since I have Kaiser I am sure  i can get a refferal and I will ask.
keep in touch!  BTW you do know Becky  had the DS (finally)...

ROSE 78 

buffalobillsfan
on 6/28/11 12:37 pm - CA
Hi Rose!!

I didn't know that Becky had her DS (Yes!  Finally is right!).  How is she doing?  How is Ronnie doing?  I miss you guys so much.  I just got a new dog so I didn't come to the San Jose meeting.  I will this month though.  I finally have off on Wednesdays.  Will you be there?  It's great to hear from you!!!! 

Cheers,
Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 1:01 pm - San Jose, CA
I don't think you are going to be given infusions with a ferritin of 91 - most people ASPIRE to have a ferritin that high! Not sure about the iron levels, but I don't know whether you can blame exhaustion on those levels. But, the hematologist to go to in our area is Dr. Henderson in San Mateo. (Brian, I think)
buffalobillsfan
on 6/28/11 5:15 pm - CA

Ahhh crap!  I thought I had a possible solution.  Do you think that the drop in ferritin can cause fatigue even if the level is acceptible?  I'm also afraid it's going to keep going down.  It dropped 50% after upping my proferrin from 1 to 2 per day. 
Will you be a the SJ meeting in July? 

Cheers,
Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 9:42 pm - San Jose, CA
I've never heard of levels like yours causing fatigue, but I am HARDLY an expert. Personally, when I got infusions at a ferritin of 12 and it went to 79, I felt no difference. When I got a second round of infusions 18 months later when my ferritin went down to 23 and it went up to 221, I still felt no difference.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views