Need suggestions...what to eat?

BBoop
on 6/29/11 12:05 pm
I know what to eat...but I can't.  I'm pushing 8 weeks out and meat isn't an option for me.  I can do fish, ground meat...chopped a second time and that's about it.  I've had a resleeve so I know about carbs and what to eat but I'm just stumped...sometimes I can eat chicken IF it's floating in a cream sauce...I use the Philly Cream Cheese that's falvored for that.  I read Vites and Bites...nothing seems to help.

Today I've been eating grilled cheese on low carb bread...one slice but if I keep this up I'll soon be packing on the carbs.  I also eat quiche...that goes down well..no crust.

Anybody, have any suggestions?   I eat cottage cheese...don't like Fage Yogurt so that's out.
I'm getting kinda desperate.  Bacon is ok and one small pattie of sausage...sometimes.  I can't eat a lot at one sitting but I'm truly getting sick of my current menu. Oh yeah, peanut butter is also a staple.  I do my shakes and today I added an Oh Yeah Protein Bar...one half.

Help if any of you can.  I'm just at a loss,

Betty

jewel506
on 6/29/11 12:48 pm - Houston, TX

Let me just ramble here....some you may have tried or mentioned - 

Eggs - scrambled, soft boiled/poached, frittatas, fried
Fish/Seafood - fish filets, shrimp, crab
Pork - the tenderlion is good and moist, if not overcooked :-)
Beef - filets are very tender, if not overcooked
Chicken thighs are easier than breasts for most of us to get down

Tunafish Salad
Egg Salad
Pimento Cheese

Cheeses of all kinds  :-)

Hope that helped!!!  (((hug)))

You need to call me!  I mss talking with you! 

Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

BBoop
on 6/29/11 1:44 pm
Thanks so much...Julie I can't really eat meat...I think I'll try a tenderloin (pork)..I can eat shrimp but sometimes it sits like a lump in my tubular stomach.  lol

Despite my eating problems... I've also hit a long stall..,been at this weight for at least two weeks.  GRR!!!  I eat Mexican food once time a week...for some reason this one place here has enchiladas that go down (I eat only one + the obvious quacamole and taco meat).  It's the only time I can eat a full meal of any sort...maybe that's why I am stalling.  God I hope not.

I have tunna so I'll try that again...for some reason it doesn't taste good to me.  I think I'll try sardines
...see how they go down.  Pimento cheese sounds good.  Crab, I bought last time at the grocery and it didn't taste good...I normally love crab.  I'm sure I'll get over that.

My new dog (Yorkie from the pound) got into the neighbor's yard and their Mastiff chewed him up, slung him into the fence...I think (didn't see it happen) and broke his jaw and leg.  He's home and recouperating...I'm a nervous wreck.  Get this I have a brand new fence, he found the only place in the entire yard where only a rat could get through...he looks like a little rat right now.  Can you believe that?  As soon as I can lift really heavy stuff I'm gonna line my fence with pavers...he's so little and cute but obviously a master of escape.

Thanks again for the help...I'm getting desperate.

Betty

jewel506
on 6/29/11 2:36 pm - Houston, TX

So sorry to hear your new baby was hurt so badly!!  Poor thing (BOTH of you!).

Hope he mends quickly and is up and running again, soon.  (((hug)))

Thought of a couple more ideas for foods you might want to try - 

Chili
Stewed Chicken (the first 'real' food I ate after surgery)

Best of luck finding things that taste good and go down easily!!!  

XOXO!
Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

BBoop
on 6/30/11 2:09 am
Thanks Miss Julie....poor Gizmo is just so anxious to go but of course he's way too sick to let loose in the yard.  He's a sweet baby and I just hope the surgery works...so far so good.  They don't have anything to give a parent, me...I've been a nervous wreck.  lol

B
DarcyMad
on 6/30/11 12:56 am - Cedar Park, TX
HI Betty!!!

You know what I ate a lot of early out was refried beans with melted sharp cheddar over the top and some sour cream thrown in.  It always tasted sooo good and sat well in my new tummy.

Have you tried Buddig meats?  They are so thinly sliced that they went down very easily for me.  I would take it one slice at a time and roll it up and eat it.  It slides right down.

Also, tuna salad!  I'd throw in extra mayo and some shredded cheddar.

Just a few other suggestions!  Good luck!

PS....we all should get together again!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

BBoop
on 6/30/11 2:14 am
Yes, that would be fun.  Not just yet, I have a new dog that got chewed up by the neighbor's dog so he's recouperating now...give me some time.

I just remembered I can eat a slice of thinly sliced chicken with cheese wrapped around it...thanks for reminding me. 

I appreciate you suggestions.  Good hearing from you.

B
linda1814
on 6/29/11 1:34 pm
Eggs - deviled eggs, egg salad, poached and served with a hollandaise type sauce, fried eggs, scrambled, etc

Tuna - I prefer oil packed since it doesn't taste as dry as water packed even if I do add mayo

Crab - it was one of the first foods I ate post-op.  Since I had surgery in SF, many of the restaurants had crab ****tail on their appetizer menus.  Now, I LOVE crab legs.  They sit so well for me, I can't get enough.  I have a couple of cans of lump crab meat in my cupboard that I want to make something with ... just not sure what yet.

Post-op before I was able to eat meat, I ate a lot of mild white fish such as sole, cod, haddock.  A nice lemon-y butter sauce.  These sat very well for me.

Have you tried adding anything to your Fage yogurt?  I find that I like mine on the sweeter side so I add 4 Splenda packets and I normally hate Splenda but this way is delicious to me.  

Cottage cheese?  I think it packs more protein and less carbs per half cup than the Greek yogurt even does.  I usually eat it plain but I've read where some people add things like chives, black pepper, various dried mixes to make it savory or sweet depending on your tastes.

What about ricotta fluff?  I ate that several times when I was newer post-op.  

Have you tried making Brok's pizza?  

Do you have a crock pot?  I never owned one until I had my DS and it was the only way that I was able to eat roasts the first few months.  Recently I made chicken thighs in my crock pot based on a suggestion that I saw on OH. It was something like a brick of cream cheese, part of a jar of salsa, and chicken thighs.  The color came out unappetizing but the taste was good.  I'd reheat it in microwave and throw some shredded cheese on it and it came out creamy and pretty yummy.

I just bought a box of salmon burgers that were pretty good.  There were no fillers and binders so I think the carbs were 0 or at least very close.  

I also ate a lot of stracciatella soup.  It is sort of like an Italian egg drop soup.  Beat a couple of eggs and stir into the eggs some grated parm cheese and then stir it into the chicken broth.  Only takes a few minutes.  

If you do shakes, then you probably have protein powder on hand if you don't do the ready to drink kind.  You might want to try making a shake cake.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4400956/A-shout-out-to-Kayla-B-And-what-is-your-variation-of-her/#36390480

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

BBoop
on 6/29/11 1:55 pm
I'm gonna get the cocoa tomorrow at the store for the shake cake...it sounds delicious.

I'll try the soup but for some reason, crab isn't good for me now...it's a taste thing,  I'm sure I'll get over that cause I love crab.   Salmon burgers sound good...don't know if my grocery has them or not...dang grocery store, but they sound yummy.

Don't do the fluff...tried that before I was resleeved.  Just not for me.  I do buy pizza and just add cheese and sometimes peperoni and then I don't eat the crust...it tastes good but I just don't eat it that often.

I'm a fisih lover and for now that seems to be my go to meal.  Julie suggested pork tenderloin so I'm gonna try that...hope it goes down.

Thanks for responding and for all your suggestions...I will try them.

Betty
linda1814
on 6/29/11 2:08 pm
Good luck, I know what it's like to struggle when nothing sounds good.  I went through an episode of that for a month when I was about 6 months out.  Nothing ever sounded good and I was living off of Lactaid milk and ready to drink protein shakes.  Not a good time and it hurt my weight loss.  I remember feeling like finding food was such a chore because I just didn't enjoy anything.  But it did pass so it get's better.  

The pizza I mentioned was Brok's pizza recipe.  The crust is actually a combination of grated cheese and eggs so no carbs at all.  Less waste than buying a pizza and only eating the cheese.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4016395/OMG-For-the-record-Broks-Low-carb-pizza-is-the-SCHIZNIT/

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 298 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 770 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views