To the MVADS (?) group

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 5:16 am - San Jose, CA
I am so sorry I missed you all at Swee****er on Tuesday.  I left my office in Arlington for the TEN MILE DRIVE at 5:20, and should have been there by 5:45, as it is a straight shot down Rte. 50.  I got to Rte. 50 Gallows TWO HOURS AND 45 MIN LATER.  The truck fire on I-66 created utter havoc that night.  I used up nearly a 1/2 tank of gas mostly idling with the A/C on.

I did manage to pop in to the hospital to say hi, but VitaLady's meeting was already underway, and I still had to visit my mother, eat dinner, visit my sister, return the rental car to National Airport, get back to the hotel and unpack for a one night stay, so I had to scurry off after just a bit.

And that nightmare 10 mile drive was after the FIVE hour drive (190 miles, almost all interstate) from Norfolk from visiting TheGoodKel earlier in the day.  Which was better than the SEVEN hours it took on Saturday to drive there.

And then the 9 hour flight home (2+ hour layover in Denver) last night.  For those of you who think I am lucky to do all the traveling I do, think again.

For those of you who do fly sometimes, you might enjoy this:  I don't like flying, and especially not the take-offs and landings, where I am most frightened.  I always brace myself for the landings in particular, and even more in particular when landing at an airport like Denver, where the winds are gusty and unpredictable, which often makes the landings quite hard. 

So as we were landing last night in Denver, I am braced with my one hand on the seat in front of me, other hand on my sea****ching intently out the window for the wobbling from side to side that indicates wind gusts.  We approach the runway, and we're down really close to the ground, for a REALLY long time, still going pretty fast - holy crap, we must be running out of runway as the pilot tries to get the plane aligned to land, and he can't, and he is going to have to gun the engine and take off again for a second pass!!  My heart starts racing and then I realize we are slowing down - WTF??  In fact, he had touched down SO softly and gently, I didn't even notice it, even as I was staring out the window waiting for it.  I got scared over nothing.

I guess I should just relax and "enjoy" the ride.
MajorMom
on 7/7/11 7:30 am - VA
Hi Diana,

I'm so sorry you were caught in that awful traffic.Thank you for putting up with it making it to the hospital for Michelle's meeting. Most folks would have given up but I know that's not your way. We had about 10 at Swee****er but I think the only ones that could get there were already in the area or coming from the west. Next time you're here, please let us know and we'll pull the MADS together at Swee****er. 

I hope the rest of your trip is much easier and less nerve wracking. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein