Regaining? This is such a hopeful testimonial

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 8:17 am - Ludington, MI
 I'm glad this post helped you.    When an individual starts out with a higher BMI, it seems to be, just from my casual observations on these boards, that a bit of extra vigilance is required for a longer period of time in order to make it down into the lower BMI's.     It seems that most lightweights (the lucky bastids) can carb their way down to goal, while the higher BMI gals have to low carb it more.  Kilaani (Jill) is an SSMO that made it down to the 140's from a starting weight in the 400's by really watching the carbs.   She's still doing great after all these years, and it's because she is still careful about them.    I seem to fall somewhere in the middle.    As I posted a few weeks back, I can seem to nosh on potato chips without repercussion, but a week of high flour eating a few weeks back put some weight on me!   It seemed to be all water retention and I lost it over a matter of days, but it still scared me!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MsBatt
on 7/19/11 6:09 am
The thing that makes fat malabsorption different from the malabsorption of protein and complex carbs is bile. While our guts can, and, I'm sure, DO grow some extra villi and even, in some cases, grow longer in order to 'overcome' surgical malabsorption, that only works for protein and carbs. Fat CANNOT be digested until it's emulisified by bile, and no bile touches our food until it reaches the common channel.

I LOVE my DS.
Tassia
on 7/19/11 6:15 am
Mrs Batt,  I'm going to go have a piece of cheesecake in honor of this post!
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 8:04 am - Ludington, MI
 Yes, it was my understanding that we always malabsorb fat, but one response to the original post was by a gentleman that stated that at (I think) five years out, he was "pretty sure" he now absorbed over 60% of the fat he consumed.    I'm like "huh?"

MsBatt
on 7/19/11 10:40 am
OMG---it wasn't our old friend Batwingsman, was it? He was spouting some such nonsense a few months back---said THAT was the reason he'd regained so much weight.

Yeah, right.
Julie R.
on 7/19/11 10:47 am - Ludington, MI
 OOooohhh - I don't know.    I might have to go back and check the original posts.    I haven't seen him on these boards in a long while....but have occasionally seen him offering up his racist/sexist/grossly inappropriate view of things on the main board.

MsBatt
on 7/19/11 12:32 pm
The reason I thought it might be him is that he had posted about "knowing" he wasn't malabsorbing nearly as much as he used to, but he shut up pretty quickly when someone told him he could get a fecal fat test done and see his real numbers.
Julie R.
on 7/19/11 1:31 pm - Ludington, MI
 I just looked back to the original posts....the 33 - 60% quote was from someone else

DivaJojo
on 7/19/11 6:18 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for sharing that.   I'm one of those who, though losing 200lbs, never got down to my goal (not sure what my doc's goal for me was).  I got as low as 240 and am working on losing the 49lbs I've gained in the last couple of years.  So far, got 22lbs more to go.  It does give some hope.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

geekgirl127
on 7/19/11 6:20 am - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the timely post Julie... I just had plastics and before plastics the 3 surgeons I talked to said I'm at goal and have 37 lbs of skin and that calculation put me at a normal BMi... well that was over estimated, must be something in the way I carry it he removed a total of 23 which leaves me a bit more weight to get to my ideal BMI and now I don't have the skin to think about I know its real... I was just thinking I need to get pretty strict on the lowcarbing even considered atkins for a while to get rid of about 15 lbs to get to my goal.
HW/SW/CW/GW = 371/352/168/130  - I love my DS!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1062 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1227 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views